Sciatica Relief?

Jeepluv77

I'm hoping to pick the brains of some of the brilliant people here. So thank you in advance for any suggestions. My mother-in-law is having problems with sciatica caused by a herniated disk. She's gone to pain management/physical therapy with no relief. I know there has to be something she can do, short of surgery, to at least take the edge off the pain. Any ideas would be great. They've done trigger point injections, excersizes, pressure points, etc. I don't believe she's seen a chiropractor. She does have MRI and X-ray she can take in if that might be a viable option. Thanks again.

Honestly I would try Chiropractic ( if possible find one that went to Sherman College of Straght Chiropractic but that's more because I like their teachings) and massage therapy. There is a special massage modality for sciatica so when you look for an LMT ask if they have had the training or at least experiance with it in the past.

~ Beth and her mother who is on the phone with her.

I wouldn't suggest seeing one. But that's just me. I have issues with L1-S2; L3, L4, and L5 are protruded; S1 is floating. S1 causes problems, that little bastard has caused me to fall, made parts of my anatomy go numb, etc. Best treatment I had good results with was spinal steroid injections, or nerve blocks. You can take Rx meds all day long, but all they will do is dope you up so the pain is masked. Granted that's okay for a while, it's good to get some sleep with out pain. But the side effects in the long run will do you harm. Like on your GI System, or you build up a tolerance for the pain meds, so you have to take more to get an effect.

Tough situation. Nothing worked for me, but the biggest help I have found is from doing core work to strengthen my abs. Steroids, PT, and meds did not work. I still have the occasional flare ups for no particular reason where I am crippled up with pain, but in between those, the pain is manageable. The only option I have left is fusion, but unless I am wheelchair bound, that is not happening.

I guess the problem I see is age. Abs and core work excercises are tough when you get older- they're tough enough in your 40's.

Good luck, and keep looking.

BTW- Never tried chiropractors. I know a husband and wife team that turned me off of them. They are friends of mind and I swear that profession is like a cult. They have tried to tell me that adjustments can do everything from curing the common cold to solving world hunger(exaggerating a bit for effect).

If it works for someone, I know they have a huge following, that's great, but honestly that whole thing creeps me out.

Tough situation. Nothing worked for me, but the biggest help I have found is from doing core work to strengthen my abs. Steroids, PT, and meds did not work. I still have the occasional flare ups for no particular reason where I am crippled up with pain, but in between those, the pain is manageable. The only option I have left is fusion, but unless I am wheelchair bound, that is not happening.

I guess the problem I see is age. Abs and core work excercises are tough when you get older- they're tough enough in your 40's.

Good luck, and keep looking.

BTW- Never tried chiropractors. I know a husband and wife team that turned me off of them. They are friends of mind and I swear that profession is like a cult. They have tried to tell me that adjustments can do everything from curing the common cold to solving world hunger(exaggerating a bit for effect).

If it works for someone, I know they have a huge following, that's great, but honestly that whole thing creeps me out.

I went to a chiropractic wellness center. They ran some machine down my back and it gave some color coded readings. They then tailored a regimented course of treatment for me that included 3x weekly adjustments, vitamin supplements and some food supplements. All this for a grand total of 7300 bucks over 3 years and they said I'd be completely cleansed and would feel better. 7300 bucks for all that. What a bargain.

The only reason I would go to a chiropractor would be to get my back adjusted and that doesn't need to be done very often or to get a massage from their massage therapist.

Many chiropractors are good but when they start to get into all the supplements and herbs and vitamins is when I start to call em out as quacks.

I went to a chiropractic wellness center. They ran some machine down my back and it gave some color coded readings. They then tailored a regimented course of treatment for me that included 3x weekly adjustments, vitamin supplements and some food supplements. All this for a grand total of 7300 bucks over 3 years and they said I'd be completely cleansed and would feel better. 7300 bucks for all that. What a bargain.

The only reason I would go to a chiropractor would be to get my back adjusted and that doesn't need to be done very often or to get a massage from their massage therapist.

Many chiropractors are good but when they start to get into all the supplements and herbs and vitamins is when I start to call em out as quacks.

I understand the concept of being "out of alignment", but when you have a documented physical problem like a bulging or ruptured disc, THAT is the problem, not being out of alignment. The adjustment may help short term, but it doesn't get to the root of the problem- it's like a bandaid for an arterial bleed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but chiropractors to me are like therapists and shrinks. Yes, they may help folks sort out issues, but when was the last time you heard someone go to a therapist and be told they don't need therapy? It's like a problem that is never "cured"- you always need to come back for 20 more adjustments, 20 more sessions, etc.

I am curious though about acupuncture- has anyone tried it? To me, it's more about a general well being than addressing a specific illness, but I don't know. I wouldn't discount the herbal remedies though- most of our most powerful meds come from nature, and the Chinese and others have been doing it for centuries. It would not surprise me that they also know about uncommon herbs, plants, and extracts that can even surpass many of our current therapies. Problem is, unless there's a big profit in it, Big Pharm isn't interested.

There are roughly 2 trains of thought within chiropractic practices. One thought is called Straight Chiropractic that ONLY deals with the spine. The only thing they will do is realign the spine into propper aligment. This does help with alot of things. I will personally say it has helped my breathing, "female pains", and head aches. My mom will attest that it did decrease the severity and duration of her migraines if she got a treatment at the onset of one.

The other train of thought is Diverse Chiropractic. This teaching is when we get into the Jack of All Trades Master of None problem. Now I am not going to say that all chiropractors that follow that are horrible at their job and don't know what they are doing. There's a few good ones. If I hadn't gone to one I wouldn't have found out what happened to one of my wrists and had it correctly taken care of. It's because of that doctor's care that I now once again have full moment of my right hand and full feeling.

Before realizing I wanted to get into EMS I looked very hard into chiropractic and even picked which college I wanted to attend. So ya my views are rather biased to say the least.

I saw a chiropractor in DC who was amazing and worked well for me. Here in Denver, a friend of mine's parents are chiropractors to the extreme. They do not believe in vaccines or seeking medical care when they are sick. They want me to come in so bad because they believe herbal supplements and changing my diet will cure my Ehlers-Danlos which is just BS. Chiropractic care can be helpful in some situations and with a well trained provider. But the extremists I would stay away from. Anyone who believes that taking a vitamin can cure appendicitis instead of taking their kid to the hospital is nutso in my book.

Sciatica pain can be horrible... I get it occasionally. Sometimes sitting or laying on a tennis ball and rocking around with the tennis ball over where it hurts really helps me out. Also an anti-inflammatory like diclofenac or motrin can really calm it down since most times the pain is caused by an irritation and swelling of that nerve.

Good luck!