Hello, everyone

46Young

Hello, everyone, I'm new to this site. It looks way more promising than other sites I've been to.

A little about myself - 33 y/o, married, one daughter (5) and one on the way (girl), currently employed as a firemedic in Northern Va. I got my start in EMS at Hunter Ambulance-Ambulette inc. an IFT company in Inwood Queens per diem, for around 6 months. Next, I was a EMT-B for three years FT at the NSLIJ CEMS, a combo nyc 911/IFT agency, hospital based. After that, I worked for two years as a medic for the CEMS concurrently with a stint as a medic at the Flushing/Jamaica/Brookdale hosp system. I secured my NREMT-P and then relocated to Charleston SC and worked as a medic for their county run third service 911. Finally, I was hired as a firemedic at Fairfax County FRD, and have been here for the past year and a half.

My career development goals include moving up in rank at the FRD as an All-Hazards officer, maybe up to Capt II. I would also like to get into EMS education here, as I would like to ensure that educational standards and proficiency are continually improved at the FRD. I'm also debating going for either RT or RN. The FRD is very pro education, weighs it heavily for promotions, and will allow me to use leave to attend class on work days if needed. If I go RN, I may seek to do flight on the side, either as a medic or RN, whichever results in a job offer.

I hope to contribute positively to the site, as well as improve my proficiency as a medic. I believe strongly in fire based EMS (only if run well, for the right reasons), and having secure employment with a defined benefit (pension), good working conditions, unionization, and a livable wage. The main motivating factor for going to the fire side was for those reasons. I've found, luckily, that I enjoy fire almost as much as EMS, maybe 60% for EMS, and 40% for fire.

I have respect, in general, for the employees of all versions of single role EMS agencies, to include volunteer. The problem arises when the fire bashing starts, and also when individuals preach how EMS in general doesn't deserve a livable wage or any decent benefits. I think that, even though educational standards may be low at the moment, that doesn't excuse employers from paying us welfare wages. Hence my pro union, or at least pro political organization stance, to protect the little guy (and gal), and give them a fair shake when dealing with management. Any problems I have with private or third service EMS are generally not with the employees, but rather how they're run, and how poorly the employees may be treated.

I know that this post has been long winded, but I just want everyone to know where I'm coming from when posting. Thanks for viewing.

• Like 2

Wow is get a life getting empty or what? :icecream:

HMM "I believe strongly in fire based EMS" Based on that statement I think I see a fight ummm a peaceful debate or two in the citys future. :whistle:

Welcome to the city where a good educational but respectful debate is always welcome. You should be fine as long as you decide I am always right. :devil:

Welcome! Your first post gives much hope to your time here being very valuable, to you and us.

Ditto. Props for taking the time to properly introduce yourself.

Welcome aboard! Jump right on in.

• Like 2

Wow is get a life getting empty or what? :icecream:

HMM "I believe strongly in fire based EMS" Based on that statement I think I see a fight ummm a peaceful debate or two in the citys future. :whistle:

Welcome to the city where a good educational but respectful debate is always welcome. You should be fine as long as you decide I am always right. :devil:

Let me ask a question regarding the fire based ems?

Let's say that I'm a firefighter and paramedic working for a fire based ems service. I am hired completely for the ambulance and I never will work as a firefighter.

I spend all my efforts on being a good paramedic and limited time on strictly keeping up my firefighting certs.

Does that automatically make me a bad paramedic or sub-par paramedic just for being a firefighter and a paramedic?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.