EMT Basic in High School?

P_Instructor

I'm sorry, I do not understand. It is O.K. for an 18 y/o medic, in O.I.F. to provide medical treatment to some of the most horrific blast injuries, possible, but not ok for some 17-18 y/o to see a car wreck ?????

I took my EMT when I was Senior in HS, and I think it gave me great insight into the EMS/pre-hospital field.

I went on to Join the Navy, become a Corpsman, Paramedic, 9-1-1 Dispatcher, and then a LT, in the busiest EMS system in the US.

I find it a little odd that people would post, "I did it when I was 17, but I think the age needs to be raised".

I think @ 1-18 young people are maturing, and finding themsevles, having an EMT card, helps them learn to deal with, STRESS.

AKA LIFE.

Thanks...You beat me to it. I can think of at least five of the top organizations in the world that employ mostly 18-20 year olds in life or death positions: The U.S. Marines, Army, Navy, AF, and Coast Guard

• Like 1

I took, passed and was certified as an EMT when I was 16yrs old.. A sophomore in High School. Didn't affect my grades, it was winter, so it didn't interfere with anything. While I couldn't run as a single provider until I was 18, I still had the same cert as anyone else. IMO, it all depends on the individual that is taking the course. Certainly every sixteen year old wouldn't be responsible or mature enough to do so.

I took my EMT-Basic class when I was a senior in high school. It was a year long class my senior year which actually went more in depth then most EMT-Basic classes (as to how and why things happen). We had several days throughout the year that were dedicated to dealing with scenarios before we finally had our field day at the end to get our course completion. I took my state test after I graduated. The class was pitched for students looking as a way to find out more about the medical field and as a way for Cypress Creek EMS to gain more volunteers. We were taught by a Paramedic/RN who taught other health science type classes in the high school. We even competed in a HOSA tournament against other high school EMT-Basic classes.

Of the group of 15 I think seven of took the state test (all passed) and of the seven I'm the only paramedic. There is one other person from my class working in EMS as an EMT-I now and a dispatcher. I'm not sure if they have continued the class or not (I know they were four years after I graduated when I went back to speak to the class).

I think that an 18 year old is capable of being an EMT-Basic, but most agencies around here require you to be 21+ due to driving insurance requirements. Honestly if you aren't capable of being an EMT-Basic at 18 then you have far greater problems on your hands then not passing the test.

-Nate

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.