EMT Basic in High School?

P_Instructor

Question for your opinion. Should High School students be able to take the EMT-Basic course while still in High School, whether classroom style or online (based that they are eligible per their State Code) or do you think that lack of maturity would lead them to failure. (No right or wrong answers, just looking for opinions)

Question for your opinion. Should High School students be able to take the EMT-Basic course while still in High School, whether classroom style or online (based that they are eligible per their State Code) or do you think that lack of maturity would lead them to failure. (No right or wrong answers, just looking for opinions)

EMT basic in high school is fine. I think that the age restriction should be senior year.

This course if given in High school should be an elective class only and ALL the required coursework that is needed to complete high school should be done. The course can be taught in one quarter or a semester so the student needs to have completed all state requirements before they get to start playing.

This course could also be offered between the junior and senior school years in the summer and if it's done that way then the student needs to be a good student with good grades and upstanding in stature.

This course is not for the drop outs or the losers in high school who are forced to go to summer school and this is the course they get to take.

The grade average requirement should be at least a 3.5 and they should have taken several advanced science and math classes before they take this class.

I know this is a glorified bandaid course but to have a good grounding of science and math they can at least understand why the body is reacting a certain way and provide the best care they can.

Personally I would be uncomfortable with a senior in high school taking care of me in the ambulance. but that's just me.

OH!!! and one other thing, There is no way that EMT or Medic should ever be an online class. That's absurd.

Edited by Ruffems

I have mixed feelings about this topic, I believe as a parnet that we should encourage our kids in anything they wish to persue, But as a healthcare worker I think that some of these kids are way immature to handle much of the things we deal with. It could really mess with their heads and mess them up for life. Maybe offer the class to upcoming senoirs and no certs till they are 18. But then again I know some kids that are way more mature than their parents are, :innocent: Personally I have no problem with kids being on the back of the truck as long as its not a life scarring call.

I think more of a first responder course would be better. They need more age and life experience before getting to work on an ambulance.

As to online EMT/Paramedic it is a great ideal for the mature well organized person. Children should not be allowed that option.

Personally I have no problem with kids being on the back of the truck as long as its not a life scarring call.

My only question (not to start anything) is this: How do we limit their exposure to those 'life scarring calls'? Even the 'routine nursing home call' can have a bad outcome.

While I agree with your thoughts about supporting our children in whatever they want to do, I think that EMT-B as a high school course isn't a good idea.

I think more of a first responder course would be better. They need more age and life experience before getting to work on an ambulance.

Here's where I'm going to agree. I think that if we MUST offer any sort of EMS education in high school, keep it at the MFR level. They're going to get an idea of just what the whole field is all about, and can then decide if this is something they want to pursue after they graduate. Just because the kid has graduated, doesn't end the parental support system.

As to online EMT/Paramedic it is a great ideal for the mature well organized person. Children should not be allowed that option.

I disagree here. The idea of EMT/Paramedic as an 'online course' is absurd for anyone! There's far too many skills that MUST be mastered prior to getting a license, and actually treating people. There are people out there that can regurgitate facts on demand, but have no real concept of WHY we do what we do. To me, an 'online EMS course' is akin to the patch mill schools that we're all rallying against.

As someone who joined the fire department in high school and got certified by Maryland at 17, I really do think more should be done to restrict who gets certified. That isn't to say high school students can not do it, I did it and turned out more or less okay (I think?), but I have seen junior members (16-18) come and go and some be negative impacted by the experience. For me it really gave me the structure I needed in high school and helped me shape what I wanted to do with my life and was a very positive experience.

I do not know how we could restrict or limit who is allowed to be certified, but I think that something must be done. Some 16 and 17 year-olds are mature and responsible and can handle the types of calls we see, while some others are not. Maybe recommendations from high school teachers and guidance counselors would be a good step in screening younger members. To simply say that you should not be certified until 18 is a little harsh as I know plenty of 18-21+ members who are still not mature enough to handle the calls.

Something should be done to support the younger members too, a mentor of sorts so if they are having a problem, they can have someone to talk to about it. Report cards should be collected (my county is was required) and the students should maintain an adequate GPA, Should not be allowed to ride during class times, and various other restrictions should be in place. My chief went to my school and introduced himself and told them to not hesitate to call him if there were any problems. Various steps can be placed to help support the high school student in their path to becoming an EMT.

My county also offered it as part of the curriculum, but as a previous poster said, you had to have all of your other required courses taken in order to sign up. A bus would take you from the high school to the fire academy and you would be a high school cadet for the afternoon. I never did this route as I loaded up on A&P in HS and sciences to help me in my college career.

All in all, I think that high school students should be allowed to participate in EMS and fire as long as certain requirements are met prior to and during training.

I know this is a generalization but I simply don't think most high school students are mature enough to handle the responsibilities of being in charge of someone's life. Hell, many HS kids have enough trouble being responsible for themselves. First responder, basic first aid, CPR or 1st Aid instructor- there are many ways to become involved in EMS until you amass a bit more maturity and life experience. I guess taking the didactic portion would be OK, but actually working as an EMT in HS seems dangerous to me. When I first started as an EMTB, many of the younger folks I worked with- especially the males- were clearly not mature enough for the job, even at 20 or 21.

I do realize that in some areas, any warm body is welcomed as an EMS worker, but in general, I think it's a dicey proposition and a potential liability for the company.

I think in a lot of states, but as we all know I could be wrong, you can't ride alone as charge on the ambulance until you are 18. This was the case with me. I would have to ride as third on the ambulance until I turned 18 and took some pretty hard tests my department set. I agree a 16 year old should not be in charge of someones life, but where is the harm of them being on the unit and learning?

I had first aid classes back in grammar school for "general knowledge" as it was also required. The same for high school. I think the classes actually added up to more hours than today's EMT. However, the intention of the class was not to make one a professional or even prepare them to be an ambulance attendant back in those days. It was a class to introduce one to a few life saving techniques just as the ARC and CPR classes are today.

I would not want a 16 or 17 year old EMT anymore than I would want a 16 year old RN taking care of me or any family member. A patient should also have some expectation of privacy that they are not on public display for the amusement of the teenagers in their community.

Take the class for your own knowledge or take the ARC classes. Wait until you are at least 18 to make it an official cert and job choice.

Edited by VentMedic
  • Like 1

I disagree here. The idea of EMT/Paramedic as an 'online course' is absurd for anyone! There's far too many skills that MUST be mastered prior to getting a license, and actually treating people. There are people out there that can regurgitate facts on demand, but have no real concept of WHY we do what we do. To me, an 'online EMS course' is akin to the patch mill schools that we're all rallying against.

Why? The skills are taught on premises and actually are skill classes not just squeeze in a few minutes because lecture ended early. As to diploma mill, well actually the ones I have had dealings with could not be called that as they are tough programs and many sign up then quit because it was easier to go to a college course. Online is not for everyone, especially not for anyone looking for an easy diploma/certification.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.