Firefighters Run Over Patient

VentMedic

At our bases someone has to close the door behind the truck. Between that and not trying to scream out of the bay like a bat out of hell I've never given it much thought. I can honestly say, that if we could open the door from the truck, I'm not sure I would have thought to look directly in front of the truck. I will now.

• Like 1

At my station it's just about impossible to miss something/someone in front of the bay exit. Whoever is attending steps outside before the driver pulls out the ambulance and closes the bay door from the outside after the driver pulls out (it's a keyed open/close switch). You would have to be blind to miss an obstruction. Some people complain about the system saying an automatic door opener would be better. I like it myself because it forces someone to get out of the vehicle whenever entering or exiting the bay. Might as well back up your partner since you're already out of the vehicle right?

Edited by rock_shoes
  • Like 1

I'm down for slamming those who are lazy about their EMS responsibilities, but realistically this could happen to many responsible people. EMS or FD

As witness by the opening credits of the old "Hill Street Blues" show, this potentially could happen to the LEOs also.

For those not old enough, the opening is a garage door flying open, and the Radio Motor Patrol car (Cruiser, in other locales) blasts out of the garage under full lights and siren.

Edited by Richard B the EMT
  • Like 1

As witness by the opening credits of the old "Hill Street Blues" show, this potentially could happen to the LEOs also.

For those not old enough, the opening is a garage door flying open, and the Radio Motor Patrol car (Cruiser, in other locales) blasts out of the garage under full lights and siren.

You have to sit through almost 4 minutes to get to what Richard's talking about:

• Like 1

I guess the St. Pete FD gets the publicity award for the week. It seems they were just in the headlines for their cocaine stash at a neighboring station. Collier and a few other counties could lose their lead for embarrassing Florida news.

Police: Cocaine found at St. Petersburg fire station

By Jamal Thalji, Times Staff Writer

In Print: Friday, September 25, 2009

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/article1038888.ece

ST. PETERSBURG — Last week a firefighter found something in a fire station washing machine that has left St. Petersburg Fire Rescue feeling very unclean:

Cocaine.

Now the city's police officers are conducting a criminal investigation into the city's firefighters.

"This is just a black eye for the fire department," Assistant Fire Chief James Wimberly Jr. said on Thursday.

The St. Petersburg Police Department launched two investigations: one by narcotics detectives that could lead to arrests and criminal charges, the other by the police's internal affairs unit to determine if fire department and city policies were broken.

The cocaine powder was found Sept. 18 in a small plastic bag at Lake Maggiore Station 8 at 4701 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. S. Several firefighters were doing laundry there at the time. The find was reported to police at 4:51 p.m. A police officer tested the substance at the station to confirm it was cocaine.

Police and fire officials would not release any other details. They would not say what role drug testing could have in the investigation or discuss what actions could be taken against any firefighter linked to the drug. Firefighters from all over the city rotate in and out of the station.

In the meantime, Wimberly said, Station 8 will operate normally.

• Like 1

Funniest and saddest thing I’ve seen in at least a week, lol, too bad it wasn’t the station chief…

• Like 2

Funniest and saddest thing I’ve seen in at least a week, lol, too bad it wasn’t the station chief…

I guess you haven't read the comments under the articles especially the one where they ran over the guy. Those are sad and funny especially if it is the FFs making those comments.

I just did a mental review, and have come to the conclusion that there is NO motor vehicle that doesn't have some kind of "Blind Spot" directly in front of it. The hood and front bumper will always obscure it, to some degree.

Almost every safety regulation comes as the result of a disaster. It's pretty darn uncommon for someone to be laying in front of your apparatus IN THE STATION like that, but obviously it happens. If that department does not immediately institute a policy of having a ground guide for exiting the station now, they're looking at big trouble down the line. I expect we will see such a policy crop up many other places too. However, I also suspect that way too many drivers will ignore it just like they ignore the requirement for ground guides while backing.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.