Peer Review

letmesleep

My partner and I were tossing around the idea of a NON-disciplinary peer review to go hand in hand with our QI system. I was wondering if anyone has a peer review in place, and what you think about it. Our thoughts are based on a "self policing" idea, and not to be used as a means of discipline against each other.

Basically I'm asking:

Does it work?

Is it worth the time?

Pros and cons?

Opinions?

Open up, all of your thoughts are what I'm looking for.

thanks

My partner and I were tossing around the idea of a NON-disciplinary peer review to go hand in hand with our QI system. I was wondering if anyone has a peer review in place, and what you think about it. Our thoughts are based on a "self policing" idea, and not to be used as a means of discipline against each other.

Basically I'm asking:

Does it work?

Is it worth the time?

Pros and cons?

Opinions?

Open up, all of your thoughts are what I'm looking for.

thanks

Subject: Non-disciplinary peer review

First, Hello to all my fellow practitioners. I hope that all is well with you and your families and of course work. Going forward, when we first become practitioners, the NREMT informs us that part of our responsibilities are to police our ranks in an effort to maintain the integrity of our profession. However, I do not take this to literally mean that I must become an avid whistle blower. Less face it we’ve all made mistakes to varying degrees and if you have not, then consider yourself fortunate and keep up the good work. On the other hand, be big enough to cowboy up and admit it when you do error because you learn as you go and the truth is going to come out in the wash any way. Plus, we in EMS have been presumably endowed with that special spark of empathy that emanates from within that says “Not on my watch, I’m here to help!” This being said, whom better to sort out the issues of the practitioners that put it on the line, then the practitioners that put it on the line. So to the matter of your questions:

Does it work?

I say yes, if the team member is dedicated to the profession, they will want to improve through internal as well as external efforts.

Is it worth the time?

I say yes, if the member has the ability to understand that it’s not just about them but rather, the patient, their partner and or team and the profession as a whole. In addition, the member may have external matters weighing heavily upon them to the point that it is becoming difficult for them to practice, and a sincere intervention performed by team members that the person knows and trust may unearth these matters and allow the team member to get things in order before its too late. Besides, it’s never good to keep things bottled up.

Cons to peer review: The results of the peer-review could determine that:

Team member may not take the intervention seriously and or does not fill comfortable enough to discuss problems in a peer review forum.

Team member may not be dedicated to the profession.

Team member may lack the ability to place others before themselves.

Hope This Helps,

T.

Wow, great post from the new person. Welcome to the city.

Peer review can use useful and bad depending on how the people getting reviewed look at it. Some old timers might hate it because they have been doing it for so long and feel threatening/annoyed they have to be reviewed, some newbies might hate it because they are new and probably will feel like they are under the microscope.

In my opinion, everyone should get reviewed, go through mandatory training every shift or at least once a week. A lot of the skills we perform are seldom used. This however, does not mean you don't know how to do them. It just means, skills that aren't used often, deteriorate in proficiency. The same goes with medications. The more we do to better ourselves with what little we have, the more we may get later in the future. If we prove to our medical directors we take such pride, and put forth extensive ONGOING education and training above and beyond the normal stuff to keep current with certs, the more they will think we are mature enough and capable enough for more responsibility. If one station does this, then another, then another, and it will eventually catch on all over the place.

Being reviewed is a great idea to me because I would always like to know where I could improve on everything I do. Even if I do things properly, ideas on how to make them easier/safer/better are always welcome. Such things as technical rescue and medical care, to massive MI care, all the way down to just talking to the patient by keeping them calm, having some humor for them. It's pretty awkward when you don't know what to say to a patient when they are talking to you.

We should always strive to better ourselves and our profession, all the way down to the new guy, all the way up to the boss. EMS is still "new" in a manor of speaking. Let's show everyone what we are about!

Peer review can be a 2 edged sword. It can be useful for those new in the field to assist with their development, great.

As has been said, some who have been in the job a while may see it is an afront, but properly handled, they can assist with educating others as to their course of action.

Thre can also be a dark side in this profession. Especially if there appears to be inconsistencies for the officer concerned.

All I will say is if you want to peer review, be prepared to peer support as well. PTSD is real & reviews can be as real for the person as being there

Hi all, been a away for a bit, I was in the middle of a move to a new town. We have peer review in some places in Newfoundland and most work quite well they are handled in a non-judgmental fashion and can in fact turn into a little friendly competition. Some of the medics who review each other try to work to see who is the "better" medic which in turn improves the skills of both. I have yet to see any negative outcomes from peer review but I believe that depends on the delivery of the review results, if done in a harsh or demeaning fashion then yes it may cause hard feelings or a sense of rebuke. Like any thing else if handled correctly and professionally it can be a positive learning aid.

I agree aaron great post from the newbie. Welcome to the city and hope you stick around and add more insight to the forums.

Peer reviews I have mixed feeeling about some people just cant take criticism especially if its from someone they think is a friend or someone they work with. They make it personal when really its just doing a job. I would much rather have something told to me by a freind or coworker instead of having to explain in court why it was done or not done. Lawyers are vicious.