Dog CPR

medic82942003

Just when you thought you have heard it all. I had a Firefighter ask me how to do cpr on a dog.

You know when the family dog inhaled alot of smoke when the family house went up. Well anyway,

I remembered some training I had back in the day, we had to do cpr on goats-during a trauma class.

So I told him- kneel between the legs- put one foot under the heart/ribcage(on the down side)

Place your hand or hands over the middle of the rib cage. And compress.

Worked for us in the trauma school. I also told him I am Not a VET and he should go ask one.

Also I told him people lives come first. Just thought I point that out to him.

Be safe.

I am unsure of the manufacturer, but there is some company sells o2 masks designed for fitting the snout of dogs. I have seen the ads, but that was a few years ago.

Also, I once got drafted to drive, on my own time, in my personal minivan, a friend with a dying cat to a 24 hour Veterinary Hospital. I put a baby sized Non Re-Breather (NRB) on the cat, @ 4 LPM.

(The cat died on the exam table, the friend hated me as I didn't disobey red traffic lights on the way to the vets, "delaying" us. Sorry, but animal lover that I am, my personal, vehicle, and passenger's safety, in that order, takes precedence!)

These companies that sell the "Pet Oxygen Masks" make them out to be a revolutionary, rare, product. However. Any vet surgical supply business would have them. They're for resuscitation and anesthesia, they've probably been around for decades. They even make them for animals the size of mice, or as large as a horse or cow. But they're expensive as all hell. If you're just looking to give oxygen, you can probably make a mask easier than buy one. Just leave it somewhere it won't come apart, and mark on it what it's to be used for.

Harvard Bio Science, Harvard Apparatus; sells them. (for small animals, I should mention. Look at vet supplies for larger animals, if you need a big one.)

http://www.harvardapparatus.com/webapp/wcs...egories_N_37326

http://www.harvardapparatus.com/webapp/wcs...51_10001_-1_HAI

You can also order them from any Valley Vet Supply; or Tractor Supply Inc., retail store.

Edited by 4c6

First off, let me start by saying that I am an 'animal lover'. I have several pets and they're all well cared for.

That being said, I have to ask "Have you lost your ever lovin' mind??" If you want to know how to perform CPR on a dog/cat/cow whatever.....become a vet!

Sure, the Firefighter/EMT/Police Officer performing CPR on the family pet is good PR and makes for a great 'photo op', but let's get real here! You're at that scene not for the family pet, but for the HUMANS!

We're trained to provide emergency medical interventions on PEOPLE!

And before the topic comes up again; no, we do NOT need 'pet ambulances' zipping around town with lights and sirens!

Richard,

I'm sorry to hear that your former friend now 'hates you' because you didn't drive like a maniac, and putting everyone at risk. I would have done the same thing you did.

There has been far too much emphasis on elevating the family pet to 'human status' or above. The PETA freaks need to settle down and realize that the family pet is further down the 'food chain' for a reason!

Okay, I guess I'm the one with the weird input here, but there are some departments that have actually had oxygen masks donated to them by emergency vet clinics and also been provided a pet CPR class. I don't think it unreasonable if on a fire scene that if all humans are accounted for and don't require care, or have already been appropriately cared for that you attempt to care for the family's pet as well. That is part of the deal whether we like it or not, ems and fire are joined in this statement - to protect life and property.

Prior to my EMS days and for a period during I worked for a equine clinic in their neonate ICU and also worked on several breeding farms. Oxygen was always available to the foals - and yes I have performed CPR on more than one (including one of my own) and even taken care of a few on a ventilator. I have also participated in rescues and am still part of a equine specialty rescue team for the facility. But there was never the choice having to be made between caring for a human or an animal. In that instance, the HUMAN always comes first and I make that very clear when we go on rescue scenes. If it becomes unsafe for humans, I'm sorry, but I'm not compromising their safety for an animal. however, as long as it is safe, I will do all I can to help your four legged friend.

This discussion reminded me of my time in fire when we showed up to a house where a couple had left their children at home alone (a ten year old and twelve year old) for several hours. We showed up and the children couldn't be accounted for yet. The couple came home screaming not for their children, but for their two dogs. Eventually it was discovered the children were at a neighbor's house down the road and were not home at the time, but the two dogs were killed and there wasn't even a prayer of saving them. If there was would I have provided care? Yes after I was positive no people were involved and needed care.

I don't think it's a ridiculous request, but on the same hand I don't think departments should be going out purchasing equipment specifically for that (unless it is in joint with a specialty team where it will be used frequently as is the case with equine rescue here). A regular O2 mask would work just fine - and just as a side note - taking a plastic cup, popping the o2 tubing in the bottom works great for a muzzle to deliver o2 :thumbsup: Take care all and stay safe.

Believe it or not, a friend reminded me a man and women asked their city to get permission to code injured animals to vet. IE Animal Ambulance with lights/sirens. The city was Warren MI. I believe

they were denied. The Fireman asking me was a 100 percent country/redneck gentleman. He was serious ( he also owns alot of weapons) so I answeared to the best of my ability. Be safe cheers.

Apparently the military is using pigs now instead of goats. Be carefull out there.

Feel free to ignore the pleas of a family presenting you with a dying animal.

Just don't expect their vote- or the vote of anybody they know- when you come asking for more of their tax money at the next election/town meeting/etc.

Look, by all means stay ready for human victims, firefighters needing care, etc. In the meantime, would it kill you to do what you can, even if it's just to tell them "Sorry, I tried"?

If there is no chance of there being human patients on the scene, why not help? Made a fire stand-by in a trailer park. It was confirmed that nobody was home. FD found a pit bull under a bed, unconscious. It had inhaled alot of thick smoke. We were out of service anyway on the stand-by. We administered blow-by O2 with a NRB mask. The dog started to regain consciousness. Animal Control transported to the doggie ER. No harm done. Goodwill done.