It just doesn't fit.

MarrKr

What do you do when you start at a new 911 service, and it just doesn't seem to fit?

I just moved across country and found in orientation, that something just doesn't seem right. I can't explain it, and I am typically more objective, but I seem more subjective in this case. Something is just off.

Have any of you had this happen?

Could you be more specific? I know you said you cant explain it but I really dont understand what "it" is.

Do you not like the company? Do you not like something they do (or dont do) or may have said?

Coult it also be that, as you said, you just moved across the country? I just moved from Connecticut to Tennessee and while I like it 100 times better here, Fire/EMS is almost a different monster here, the job seems to be a lot more serious. Not to mention getting used to the people as well as the weather (about 115 heat index here vs. 80 maybe 90 degrees back home at this time).

I cant really offer much advice, but if you could be more specific Id love to try too.

How much research on this company did you do? Did you move for the job or get the job because you moved? How well did you research the area before hand?

What do you do when you start at a new 911 service, and it just doesn't seem to fit?

I just moved across country and found in orientation, that something just doesn't seem right. I can't explain it, and I am typically more objective, but I seem more subjective in this case. Something is just off.

Have any of you had this happen?

HI I may not have moved across country but I traveled three hours while in orientation to take a new job at a department and had the same feeling. You have done nothing wrong at least you realized it. At least you admit there is something that won't work now you have to sit down and attempt to figure out what the problem is and if it is correctable. If not then what are your options? I am not a person that would make it in that situation eventually I will say something and end up getting fired which is worse then you getting out now. Whatever you do keep your mouth shut within the department and figure out which direction you want to go. It is better that you leave in peace with yourselves and others rather than hated within. Don't do anything rash. Think before you react.

Hmmm, it poses a difficult situation. Have you completely relocated or just completed the orientation? What is it making you go, I just don't care for this place?

Remember, most places have a "trial period" - anywhere between 30 days and one year. During this time it's not only for them to evaluate you, but for you to evaluate them. There is nothing wrong with during that period saying thank you for your offer, I appreciate your time, but I don't feel this is a good fit for me. Employers do understand that it's no different than if they said the same to you. It is a two way street. Sometimes you take a job and it's just not what you expected. Were you given honest expectations of the job? Were you promised things and those promises not fulfilled? Depending on the situation, perhaps a speak with your supervisor can improve the situation, if not it is better to leave on good terms with an open door than to burn a bridge. I hope things work out for you. Best of luck and stay safe.

And to christopher.collins - fire/ems in TN is a whole different animal ! I hope you didn't have to do time at bell buckle, if you did, you have my sympathy !

On my previous jobs I had to move every 3 years-basically start over. So when I moved I always

tried to fit in. After a while I noticed people all react differently to new people-alot of folks say

if they dont know someone they dont trust them especially in EMS. wait a while. see what happens. lots of people have two faces- one how theyn act with unknown folks then how they ct with their friends. Show them your a good medic-but try to stay out of the politics.

I moved across the country for my first medic job. Went from a progressive EMS system that was hospital based to a regressive system working for a private. Used to run dual medic rigs, now medic-emtb - from pine trees and snow to cactus and sand.... Holy s*** - talk about culture shock.

The rigs looked like crap (high volume - rugged terrain), no 12 leads, limited drugs in the box, a medical director that fixes problems with a few by restricting protocols for everyone, the list goes on and on.

The people were especially suspicious of outsiders - book larnin - my only strength was disrespected. I figured I had ruined my life. ;)

I came very close to quitting. I figured I will run, but I'll be damned if I get run off.

I am really glad I stuck it out. I run some gnarly calls. It would have taken me years to get the number of calls under my belt as the highest level of care on the scene in a more civilized place. I have formed friendships that I am grateful for every day of my life. I plan to spend another year, then re-evaluate.

Bottom line - a level of discomfort in any new system is normal. It is up to you to decide what you can live with - just don't pull the pin too soon. Like most things in life, timing is everything.

Good luck to you.

I am going to work in Afganistan, for the DOD, so I will probably be stuck in a far away base,

playing rickey rescue for the ARMY. No drinking allowed. Thats a cuture shock. The other job

i was offered was a hospital transfer job. 3 man crew, plus a pt. I am the only guy speaking english. hows that for a one sided conversation. Going to learn Aribic/Farsi lingo real quick.

Cheers, be safe. Got 3 months to drink alot and prepare. 2 year contract- should pull in about 200,000 Gross. have to be out of USA 9 months before it is tax free.

Edited by medic82942003

I am going to work in Afganistan, for the DOD, so I will probably be stuck in a far away base,

playing rickey rescue for the ARMY. No drinking allowed. Thats a cuture shock. The other job

i was offered was a hospital transfer job. 3 man crew, plus a pt. I am the only guy speaking english. hows that for a one sided conversation. Going to learn Aribic/Farsi lingo real quick.

Cheers, be safe. Got 3 months to drink alot and prepare. 2 year contract- should pull in about 200,000 Gross. have to be out of USA 9 months before it is tax free.

First, how does this belong in this thread?

Second, if you're not military you won't be doing much of anything for the Army.

Third, you need to keep checking contracts while you're over there, that's not a lot of money for that length of time.

Fourth, if that's what you've been told about how the overseas taxes work, you've been misled.

So far is sounds like you've been speaking to the glory hounds about overseas contract work and they're giving you bad info...get the straight skinny from ak or chbare.

And lastly...It is an amazing experience, worth doing for free so the money isn't a big deal, but it is really important, 'specially if you have a family, that you start getting some accurate information.

Good luck brother..

Dwayne

...I can't explain it, and I am typically more objective, but I seem more subjective in this case. Something is just off...

I can't figure out what you are asking. It really would help for you to fill in more details.

Are you stressed about moving? Horrified by the working conditions or the skills of your new coworkers? Can't get along with your superiors? Don't like their protocols? Don't like the feng shui 風水 of the fire hall?

If you would like some advice, maybe something along the lines of: How long have you been in this field? Have you changed jobs or relocated before.... and what is your discomfort.....could help.

Otherwise, I see this thread being taken off by wild horses.

Edited by chaser