Why do drunk people pass out?

LittleMissEMT

Ok i know that sometimes people who have had a lot to drink may pass out and become unconscious. But can someone tell me, in an otherwise healthy person, what exactly happens physically inside their body from the alcohol to make them loose consciousness?

Ok i know that sometimes people who have had a lot to drink may pass out and become unconscious. But can someone tell me, in an otherwise healthy person, what exactly happens physically inside their body from the alcohol to make them loose consciousness?

Alcohol is a Central Nervous System Depressant. I don't know what is going on a a cellular level, but as the Nervous system continues to be depressed, it eventually gets to the point that unconsciousness happens.

Try Google under Alcohol Poisoning ...

At high doses, Ethanol potentiates GABA.

If you research GABA and learn how it works in the nervous system, you will understand. BUT be warned... it is pretty heavy stuff if you do not have a A&P background.

At high doses, Ethanol potentiates GABA.

If you research GABA and learn how it works in the nervous system, you will understand. BUT be warned... it is pretty heavy stuff if you do not have a A&P background.

You mean Gabbo?

gabbo.jpg

OK I couldn't resist :lol:

Edited by kiwimedic

Could someone comment on something I recall, but lack any documentation on, that alcohol consumption causes inhibitions to be inhibited, causing people to do and say things they normally wouldn't?

Consider this to be tied in with injuries and deaths as might be reported on the Darwin Awards site (http://www.darwinawards.com/), usually preceded by the victim saying

Hey, hold my beer and watch me do this...

Dehydration will also cause syncopal episodes. And alcohol loves sucking the water out of those kidneys

Alcohol does inhibit anti-diuretic hormone leading to dehydration. Creates a number of other imbalances, too. It doesn't seem like syncope from dehydration would be too common, unless already dehydrated or going in a hot tub.

It depresses your CNS, including your reticular activating system which maintains consciousness. It's assumed that when you depress it enough, one passes out. Which can be a good thing, so you stop drinking. Of course, there's the potential for aspiration (though most still have a gag reflex after passing out). As an EMS provider that's a concern.

As far as how alcohol specifically makes you drunk, it's not fully understood on the biochemical level. It basically slows and/or alters transmission of messages among neurons by screwing with depolarization (among other things).