ICS Training Online

As I sit up late, occasionally smacking myself in the head for being a procrastonator when it comes to homework... I still wonder what the point of what Im doing is.

First and foremost when it comes to ICS, I would rather watch thoes corny, way out of date training videos that for some reason are still used to teach classes today. Additionally, Id much rather be reading a privacy act agreement.

A little over a month ago our agency was given an assignment to complete some NIMS / ICS courses online as personal training. I had luckily already completed a few of them in the past and was relieved about that once I looked over the list. Still to go, and was due at 2359 yesterday (the 26th) IS 800.b National Response Framework and IS 805 Emergency Support Function.

Please feel free to correct my arrogance but how is some of this helpful to me as a grunt? For someone whos working in emergency management on a local, state or federal level or intends to then I can see the relevance. I also see the importance of standardizing things such as plain language radio communications, paper work and other related items to promote interagency operabilty.

BUT CAN THIS STUFF BE MORE DRY? Sure Id rather not learn the importance of the afore mentioned the hard way... but I can see, by these teaching methods, why some agencies still work in the dark ages. Ive completed several lessons that are probably 1-2hrs a piece that pretty much are all about the same damn thing. 800.b is teaching me about different roles of people... but I honestly doubt I will ever work directly along side the President of the USA or Director of Homeland Security in an emergency.

Ok I also know that Im not the only person who feels ill when it comes to this stuff. I know that probably a majority of us would opt not to do any of it. But of course the government wants a certain percentage of a given agency to have this training to be considered eligiable for grants. I will give them credit for that, its a pretty smart catch.

Sorry. Im overtired and kicking myself in the arse for putting this off for so long. Its really my fault and I know that... but some enlightenment on what Im supposed to be learning would be great.

I agree that it is dry, but it is essential. Once you have worked a few disasters you will appreciate how much better it is when everyone is on the same page, versus just cowboying thier way through it. Sadly, since so few departments actually have disaster drills, most of this will be forgotten when the next disaster occurs. JCAHO mandates that hospitals have disaster drills, too bad there isnt an EMS authority that could mandate the same.

If things in EMS were better mandated then all of our talk about higher education, EMS as its own organization, where it falls in the spectrum of public health and public safety etc.... would be meaningless because there would actually be better structure.

Leaving us to explain to our significant others who work at walmart that our job is generally alot tougher than theirs and we dont just drive a truck all day. Man that was 3 years ago and I havnt seen her since but I still want to ring her neck lol.

As part of a suburb of D.C. we all had to complete at least IS-100, 200, and 700. I can tell you...on the recent METRO train collision those NIMS classes were the sole reason it went as smoothly as it did. Because it creates one unified way of handling a large scale incident between different jurisdictions. If every provider on scene hadn't completed that training it would have been confusing and complicated I can imagine.

As a "grunt" it is just as important to understand the full scope of ICS as you are an integral part of the system.

Good luck :)

here in nj we need to take all those classes also. they are very boring and do repeat themselves but i do hate to say it they do work! of course you will get one or two that will go off doing whatever they want, but for the most part they work. you know that you can go anywhere with your co and be able to work a job.

so hang in there keep studing and know that someday all this wont be for nothing. :lol::rolleyes:

I agree that it is dry, but it is essential. Once you have worked a few disasters you will appreciate how much better it is when everyone is on the same page, versus just cowboying thier way through it. Sadly, since so few departments actually have disaster drills, most of this will be forgotten when the next disaster occurs. JCAHO mandates that hospitals have disaster drills, too bad there isnt an EMS authority that could mandate the same.

Couldn't have said it any better. When everyone is on the same page it not only puts everyone on the same page, but also helps to reduce emergency workers from unnecessary injury due to freelancing through accountability. Yes its about as boring as watching that long drawn out HIPPA video. But it does have a pay off during moderate (apartment complex fires or bus accidents) to severe ( MCI's ) incidents that you may encounter in your career. I do think that there should be more emphasis in the work place to ensure everyone knows what to do in these situations.

Just something to banter around the work place to help not just yourself, but anyone who reads this post. The Texas Engineering Extension Service has classes that can come to your place of employment to teach various things to prepare for such events, as well as the unthinkable. Here is the link. I hope this is helpful.

http://www.teex.com/teex.cfm?pageid=OGTpro...templateid=1658

Edited by wrmedic82

I would rather watch paint dry or a dead persons fingernails grow but it is an important class.

The key to ICS is that everyone needs to be trained on it but what do you do when you don't have your volunteer departments who have even heard of ICS. This is the weak link in our county.

NIMS 300 & 400 is still an actual class room, there are classes online for 300 and 400 that will prepare you for the classes, but if you read the fine print, its not a substitute for the actual class.

As for volunteers. For volunteer FD's to get federal funding they must have all fireground personnel NIMS compliant. Otherwise I hope their wallet is big so to be self sufficient w/o federal funding.

Also the classes that are on the website that I put in my previous post are all grant funded courses by the DHS.

Edited by wrmedic82