Abbreviations

HERBIE1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOE also can be mistaken for Department of Education and Department of Energy...

Yeah, because that totally makes sense. Patient presents with Chest Pain and Dept. of Education. Sarcasm.

Yeah, because that totally makes sense. Patient presents with Chest Pain and Dept. of Education. Sarcasm.

That could be related. I would probably have CP daily if I was an elementary or high school teacher under some of the conditions I hear about. It's bad enough in a classroom of EMT or Paramedic students.

If I was a high school teacher in a classroom today, Nitroglycerin would not be my drug of choice to ease the pain.

If I was a high school teacher in a classroom today, Nitroglycerin would not be my drug of choice to ease the pain.

Suicide by nitro? I wonder how that would go? Tempting.

That could be related. I would probably have CP daily if I was an elementary or high school teacher under some of the conditions I hear about. It's bad enough in a classroom of EMT or Paramedic students.

I love it when your sense of humor shows !

I think I only use two or three in my way of doing things, and they're just simple things that save space.. C/A/O, S/M/C and S/N/T. Everything else, I write out to avoid confusion. However, somewhere in our protocols (PA) there is a list of approved acronyms. I'm not a fan of them myself, but in training people, they do tend to pave the way to doing things in a proper rhythm.

I figured out C/A/O as conscious alert and orientated but what is S/M/C and S/N/T?

Under the current mayor of NYC, the Board of Education became the Department of Education.

I am, all these years later, still having trouble hearing that my girlfriend, Lady J, works for the DOE, and think, momentarily, I am hearing Department Of Energy, which we both laugh about.

I figured out C/A/O as conscious alert and orientated but what is S/M/C and S/N/T?

Sensation/Motor(function)/Circulation and Soft/Non/Tender

As in.. S/M/C Present; and Abdomen S/N/T.

The ones I use the most are:

CAOx_ (Concious, Alert/Oriented times 1-4)

NL (Non Labored)

PERRL (Pupils Equal, Round/Reactive to Light)

Everything else I tend to write out using proper medical terminology. I do however, tend to use alot of the medical sybols when writing the narrative of the PCR....

One 'abbreviation'/acronym I REFUSE to EVER use is 'WNL'. Supposedly, it means "Within Normal Limits", but more often than not, it only stands for "We Never Looked"!

*post edited to add content*

Edited by Lone Star