Aspiration Consequences

LittleMissEMT

You should find a copious amount of information about the complications of aspiration via a quick Google search. Aspiration pneumonia, septic shock, and ARDS among other problems are well documented and studied complications of aspiration.

The obvious literal answer to your question is death.

Take care,

chbare.

Aspiration pneumonitis -> death?

I'll leave the expert answer to Vent, but my understanding (as remembered without referencing my text's; so I could be wrong), is that aspiration pneumonia has ~25% mortality in hospitalized patients and that severe aspiration pneumonitis has ~70% mortality. I'd say that's bad. Of course even without death, I can only imagine how invasive and risky the treatment of this patients must be in terms of ICU stays.

Worst case scenario for you, they aspirate due to poor airway management, Vent's at the receiving hospital and kills you. ;)

Also consider the fact that poor initial airway management need not occur for a person to develop aspiration complications. Micro-aspiration, VAP, and other problems are encountered with intubated patients. The "ETT is a secure airway" concept really is incorrect. Also consider non-intubated patients who develop aspiration complications related to a disease process or injury.

Take care,

chbare.

Besides the death part, insurers such as Medicare will not reimburse hospitals for any acquired infections and aspiration PNA falls into that category.

The healthcare industry has gone to great expense to prevent aspiration which includes improved airway management methods.

Good site with some statistics:

http://www.zapvap.com/facts.aspx

Since the cuff on an ETT or trach doesn't not prevent aspiration but rather just slows down the inevitable. We now use an ETT that has a suction port just above the cuff that is hooked up to continuous low suction.

http://www.zapvap.com/_pdfs/inservice_poster.pdf

We may also use silver coated ETTs in the hospital.

http://www.bardmedical.com/products/loadPr...aspx?prodID=391

Aspiration becomes an issue with Stroke, TBI and Spinal Cord Injury patients even though they appear to be managing their airway. This is why it is imperative they get into a Speech Therapy program to identify the severity and start with rehab. As well, patients that have had prolonged intubation will have difficulty swallowing which can also be compounded by careless intubation technique and vocal cord or pharyngeal damage. If the aspiration issues are not dealt with, pneumonia will follow and it is possible that will be the cause of death and not the initial disease or injury.

Worst case scenario for you, they aspirate due to poor airway management, Vent's at the receiving hospital and kills you. ;)

And this could happen also. Since I am now considering doing some travel assignments, I could be coming soon to a city near you.

What is the worst that can happen when someone has aspired vomit in their lungs?

It depends on how they chew their food (some pple) as its hard to suction peas and carrots.

cheers

What is the worst that can happen when someone has aspired vomit in their lungs?

Worst case scenario.... They aspirate Garlic! That would make for one stinky infection.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.