Back Braces?

So I've been wracking my brain to come up with a ergonomic reason why, but so far with no luck. Anyone who works in a warehouse and does a lot of repetitive lifting wears a back brace as part of their safety equipment to protect their back. I have never seen a medic wearing one or talking about them, so unless I've missed this entirely and everyone is walking around with them under their uniforms, any thoughts as to why we don't wear back braces? Should we?

So I've been wracking my brain to come up with a ergonomic reason why, but so far with no luck. Anyone who works in a warehouse and does a lot of repetitive lifting wears a back brace as part of their safety equipment to protect their back. I have never seen a medic wearing one or talking about them, so unless I've missed this entirely and everyone is walking around with them under their uniforms, any thoughts as to why we don't wear back braces? Should we?

I used to wear one when i first started. I was afraid i was going to hurt my back. But it turned out to be a nightmare in summer time lol it was like i was walking with a heater around my waist! Terrible! So i started skipping it somedays, until i finally decided i dont really need it. As long as you lift properly using your legs and not your back muscles you will most likely be fine. Plus, you should know the limits of your own abilities, and if you have any doubts about if you can or cannot lift someone, stay safe and dont do it, make sure you get some help.

So, if you really wnat to i guess you could use a back brace just for extra support, but other than that i came to the conclusion that i dont need it. :)

Learned a valuable lesson just now. Research, research, then post. NOT, research, post, research. Straight from NIOSH:

Back Belts - Do They Work?

Edit: Keep in mind that until I find a better reference take the above for what it is, 12 years old and inconclusive. I'll continue to look but google is full of places selling them and I no longer have access to my old University search online resources.

Edited by docharris

I used to wear one when i first started. I was afraid i was going to hurt my back. But it turned out to be a nightmare in summer time lol it was like i was walking with a heater around my waist! Terrible! So i started skipping it somedays, until i finally decided i dont really need it. As long as you lift properly using your legs and not your back muscles you will most likely be fine. Plus, you should know the limits of your own abilities, and if you have any doubts about if you can or cannot lift someone, stay safe and dont do it, make sure you get some help.

So, if you really wnat to i guess you could use a back brace just for extra support, but other than that i came to the conclusion that i dont need it. :)

My understanding is that they give you a false sense of security and in the long run they truly don't work. But that was what I read several years ago so I don't know if they have found they truly do decrease injuries but I've taken care of some really bad back injuries where the person was wearing one and they were permanently disabled.

i'm sure the Occupational health people would know more about this.

Funny, when I was doing corporate safety, my employer came to me with the very same thing, asking, "If Wal Mart is doing it, shouldn't we?"

I actually had done a research paper on this for an ergonomics class back around 1999, so I was prepared to squash the idea. Y'all already pretty much have it. No demonstrated benefit whatsoever. At best, they make you just uncomfortable enough to remind you to use proper body mechanics. Although, a string tied around your finger would do that just as well without giving you the false sense of security that you have some measure of protection.

Having discussed it with Physical Therapists as recently as the last couple of years, the school of thought doesn't appear to have changed.

Funny, when I was doing corporate safety, my employer came to me with the very same thing, asking, "If Wal Mart is doing it, shouldn't we?"

I actually had done a research paper on this for an ergonomics class back around 1999, so I was prepared to squash the idea. Y'all already pretty much have it. No demonstrated benefit whatsoever. At best, they make you just uncomfortable enough to remind you to use proper body mechanics. Although, a string tied around your finger would do that just as well without giving you the false sense of security that you have some measure of protection.

Having discussed it with Physical Therapists as recently as the last couple of years, the school of thought doesn't appear to have changed.

What about weight lifting we use a belt for that?

What about weight lifting we use a belt for that?

You quoted the answer already.

I have however started wearing safety glasses as a part of my uniform. Once I got used to them I do not feel right being close to a pt without them.

Edited by mobey

I call BS on the research, I have one and I use it .... I don't give a rat's ass what "they" say.

As a proud member of the L5 S1 "club" they do help when in the recovery phase, dual use to hold those microwave bean bag deals just right, mind you .... the oxycodone and valium help too .... whoopee!

I use a brace it in rough seas, it does help to prevent over flexing when it gets really rough ... besides it gives one a svelte appearance too ...

cheers

I call BS on the research, I have one and I use it .... I don't give a rat's ass what "they" say.

As a proud member of the L5 S1 "club" they do help when in the recovery phase, dual use to hold those microwave bean bag deals just right, mind you .... the oxycodone and valium help too .... whoopee!

I use a brace it in rough seas, it does help to prevent over flexing when it gets really rough ... besides it gives one a svelte appearance too ...

cheers

Could this be a case of a back brace reminding one to use good lifting mechanics? Or do you think the brace actually corrects bad posture, therefor spreading the load onto the pelvis rather than lifting with back muscles?

I think your theroum is correct mobey ..... it reminds one to use good lifting mechanics.

Did I mention .... that the oxycodone and valium help too ?

;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.