Physical Fitness for EMS

I'm presently going into the EMS community in a few years (after I complete my last eight months in the Navy and complete my Army active duty requirements (3 years) and transfer to the Florida National Guard).

I've always been the athletic type, my interests including martial arts (boxing, jiu-jitsu (recently) and now MMA), surfing and swimming. I always have been in mind to keep fit in order to do my job as a serviceman, and I'm also looking forward. I'm trying to make sure I am well conditioned because it is my duty to my future patients. I'll be damned if a future patient dies because I could not get to him or her fast enough or carry him or her to safety.

My present conditioning routine is thus:

Note: I also swim between 800 to 3000 meters a day when I'm back in the States.

Mon - Circuit training with 20 minutes cardiovascular training (deployed I use the bike or elliptical. In the rear areas I go swimming)

Tues - Run sprints

Wednesday - See Monday

Thursday - Distance running

Friday - Same as Monday

Saturday -

I do a lot of Crossfit-esque circuits. For instance today's circuit was:

6 x Ring pullups

30 x Flutter Kicks while holding a 100 lbs. barbell over my chest

25/5 x Regular/Diamond pushups (do 25 regular then transition to 5 diamond pushups)

20 seconds front plank

20 seconds two plate pinch (2x10 lbs. weights)

10 x kneeling bar rolls.

Then I biked for 20 minutes on the stationary bike at a high resistance.

I'm trying to balance my physical condition for my upcoming Army service while at the same time being ready to be a paramedic/firefighter (I'm going to try to work for a fire service in Central Florida, (Orlando Area)). Is there other areas I should focus on to make sure I'm ready for both?

Note: The link at the beginning refers to my other post on EMT training where I stated I know what I'm getting into by attempting the EMS route.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm presently going into the EMS community in a few years (after I complete my last eight months in the Navy and complete my Army active duty requirements (3 years) and transfer to the Florida National Guard).

I've always been the athletic type, my interests including martial arts (boxing, jiu-jitsu (recently) and now MMA), surfing and swimming. I always have been in mind to keep fit in order to do my job as a serviceman, and I'm also looking forward. I'm trying to make sure I am well conditioned because it is my duty to my future patients. I'll be damned if a future patient dies because I could not get to him or her fast enough or carry him or her to safety.

My present conditioning routine is thus:

Note: I also swim between 800 to 3000 meters a day when I'm back in the States.

Mon - Circuit training with 20 minutes cardiovascular training (deployed I use the bike or elliptical. In the rear areas I go swimming)

Tues - Run sprints

Wednesday - See Monday

Thursday - Distance running

Friday - Same as Monday

Saturday -

I do a lot of Crossfit-esque circuits. For instance today's circuit was:

6 x Ring pullups

30 x Flutter Kicks while holding a 100 lbs. barbell over my chest

25/5 x Regular/Diamond pushups (do 25 regular then transition to 5 diamond pushups)

20 seconds front plank

20 seconds two plate pinch (2x10 lbs. weights)

10 x kneeling bar rolls.

Then I biked for 20 minutes on the stationary bike at a high resistance.

I'm trying to balance my physical condition for my upcoming Army service while at the same time being ready to be a paramedic/firefighter (I'm going to try to work for a fire service in Central Florida, (Orlando Area)). Is there other areas I should focus on to make sure I'm ready for both?

Note: The link at the beginning refers to my other post on EMT training where I stated I know what I'm getting into by attempting the EMS route.

You have nothing to worry about. You're probably doing more than 99% of providers. I would pay particular attention to your core, and abs, back, shoulders. The problems generally result from repetitive motions over a long time- knees, back, shoulders.

Good luck, and thank you for your service.

First off High Speed (Lone), Hooah! Best of luck in the Guard. Dont know if they use "high speed" in the Navy but in the Army it pretty much means on the ball and/or squared away. Thanks for serving brother. Former CT Army Guard here, untill I was medically discharged.

Anyways, I dont mean to degrade anyone, but your one up on many people in our proffesion already. I wont speak for anyone specifically and I wouldnt know anything about Florida, but a lot of us in this proffession are out of shape, and yes theres plenty of proof in statistics and studies. In fairness myself included, after my discharge I lost some of my motivation. Just keep up your passion for fitness.

On the other hand dont overwork yourself, at least before a shift on a hot day. I just moved to Tennessee from Connecticut... the weather differences are intense. A heat wave back home is normal here. It has made getting back to shape rather difficult. In addition, I have more certifications and training than a lot of the members of my department that are my age. When it comes to training though I look like just another rookie because this heat kicks my a$$. Your of no use if your tired and worn out just before the tones pop... so pretty much just be concious of when you work out and how much. Though with your military background you may already be used to situations changing quickly.

Best of luck in your career.

You will be fine ... hell, I break out in a sweat eating a sandwich ... ;)

cheers

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The reason I decided to go into EMS is because of my SAR swimmer training in the Navy. Although I didn't complete it due to a gooned up safety check (I learned from that experience: do everything right and throughly even if it takes longer), the program gave me four words I took to heart: "So Others May Live."

In the Army I'll add that to four other words: "We Clear the Way..." -Motto on a US Army Corps of Engineer poster.

My creedo for active Army Service: "We Clear the Way...So Others May Live."

Well Christopher.Collins we use High Speed in the Navy too. Usually referring to SEALs, EOD, Diver types.

Thanks for the good advice from all comers.

Christopher Collins, you weren't a Medic with the CT National Guard at all, were you?

You're probably doing more than 99% of providers. I would pay particular attention to your core, and abs, back, shoulders. The problems generally result from repetitive motions over a long time- knees, back, shoulders.

Really, I imagined a profession where you'd be lugging, dragging, carrying a dead weight (i.e. a fully unconscious survivor) would entail a good deal of physical fitness, especially if in a firefighting getup.

Edited by LoneRider

Shrug, I just do the Wii fit workouts. I complete the entire Yoga and the entire strength training in about 90 minutes. Once in a while I'll do the aerobic workout too.

Call me a geek, but I have been getting more toned and lost weight. I think it's because I can't eat junk food while i work out for 90 minutes a day.

Call me a geek, but I have been getting more toned and lost weight. I think it's because I can't eat junk food while i work out for 90 minutes a day.

Ok Geek ... :o

Junk food deprivation training takes "guts" !

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.