18 still in highschool can i take my take exam?

You have to have your high school diploma or GED, take an approved by the state EMT-B course, and be 18 to take your exam. Did you check out the links I posted in the other topic you started?

If you school is saying there is a way around it they are wrong. Sorry hun.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good catch! So why the frack are we doing this again. Refer back to my advice in the first thread and think it over. You've received excellent input thus far and seem to wish to ignore it and start again. With that in mind, I have my strong doubts that you have the requisite maturity at this point to work as a responsible provider in a medical field, even at the Basic level. Yes, you are wasting your time in the EMT-B course by taking it now, but maybe not for the reasons you think.

I agree Mr. DocHarris. Which is very sad. Taking the class now will give him a base for when he retakes it when he is fully legal.

I agree Mr. DocHarris. Which is very sad.

Which is sad, that you agree with him; or what he said?

You could always become an emancipated minor, get your GED over the summer; and work as an EMT, instead of graduating high school.. Then, write a book about it. Oh wait, that's already been done. Maybe a mini-series?

Which is sad, that you agree with him; or what he said?

You could always become an emancipated minor, get your GED over the summer; and work as an EMT, instead of graduating high school.. Then, write a book about it. Oh wait, that's already been done. Maybe a mini-series?

What he said. I like DocHarris. So it isn't a sad thing if I agree with him.

im asking because im turning 17 in 20 days

Okay, so you will be 17 in a few days. Most of the info was already given to you in the other thread.

Florida now uses the NREMT for its EMT exam. Florida no longergives its own state exam and hasn't been for a few years. A state exam still exists for the Paramedic in Florida.

From the other thread:

no im attending mater academy im a 11th grader and im taking my course at a EMT school

I would like to know which of our great medic mills this young person is taking his EMT-B. They should have explained the age requirements. However, if it is one of our medic mills, they are all to happy to take money from anyone regardless of the state's requirements and have probably got him ready to be enrolled in the medic program for a discounted rate of $15k. When it is a kid they are taking money from, I get a little more disgusted with them.

Edited by VentMedic

If you really want to get around the high school diploma rule, get a GED. Of course, most employers will not look at you seriously if you don't care enough to finish high school (this is NOT an insult to older providers - this applies only to current generation). Frankly I think in high school you don't have the maturity or experience to be a competent EMS provider for a career. There is a reason the national registry requires you to be 18 to test - it's called good common sense. Unfortunately some states bypass this testing and have created their own allowing those younger to be certed and I'm not seeing a positive result from it. Take the class, if you want, keep reviewing, then test when you graduate. Or better yet, finish school, then take the class through a college, and test. Remember average college student changes majors 3 times so yeah - what you want to do today might drastically differ in a year from now or even a few months. It may not. But finish school first, get an education, and then consider doing this. You might have the maturity by then to do it and will certainly be viewed in a better light as an applicant IMHO. Good luck.

The answer is NO, simple. It does not matter how badly you want it, think you should get it or need it, the answer is NO.

I realise that you are young, sparky and ambitious but the National Registry of EMTs (which is the certification body used by most states) has a requirement of 18 years of age or older (click for more info).

With that in mind; I must ask WHY you want to be an EMT; is this a career move? do you need it to be a firefighter? do you want to become a doctor and it would "look good"? .... or, are you a nutjob who is into red lights and sirens?

The kid does not even know how old they are. Just barely into high school and we want to encourage EMS?....Kidding right?

Most respectable EMS will do a criminal back ground if they so happen to make it through the course and pass the EMT (of course they will probably lie about their age to take the test). Most respectable EMS will require the minimum age of 18, many will require 21 to 23 years of age for the insurance carriers rules.

Again, propaganda spread to an eager person to sit in a EMS unit, when the real life will point out the best they might do is be able to tech a w/c van.

R/r911

Edited by Ridryder 911

you guys make it seem like im dumb or something. i ask this question because im very much interested in the medical field even more EMS. i love to help people, i don't really care about the money i just want a job that i can love and this is it. you guys make it seem like im a retard im not i get A and B in school, i passed both of my fcats my first try. i want to get my life on track. i see a lot of my friends that gradute and dont know what they are going to do with their lifes and that scares me. i understand that i might not be matrue yet, but i will be and i would like to start learning everything i can now. and to clear up my age i turn 17 in 10 days so i just put 17 becasue my birthday isnt that far away. all i wanted to know is if i could take my nremt at the age of 18 and still be in highschool. i hope this cleared up everything