NBC's new show "TRAUMA"

31 members have voted

1. 1. Based on this teaser trailer, do you get the impression that this will help or hurt the image of EMS?

• Good for EMS image
    • Bad for public image
    • Could be both

Of all those shows, I briefly recall Chicago Hope, but that's it.

"Chicago Hope" initially went head to head with "ER". but I was ranting on "240 Robert", "Trauma Center", and "Rescue 77", which I argue were the worst US Television shows ever to depict EMS.

Oh, there was a couple of weeks of a TV version of "Mother, Juggs and Speed", but got canceled due to low viewership. Love or loath the movie it was based on, the TV show was nowhere near as funny as the movie, IMHO. I just remembered: Harmon's "Chicago Hope" character was the first to use the (actual and unedited as here) phrase, "Shyte happens", when, in a death review, a man dies from what they never caught on to, that he had an allergic reaction to a police horse he placed his hand on in the park.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That little youtube clip looked so bad I nearly barfed up my dinner. That show will be retarded, and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'll be watching it. Besides, I get enough bullsh*t drama at work. I prefer to watch some good old fashion History channel when I'm not being forced to work.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the most over the top pilots I've pre-screened. No getting away from the fact that it's a drama. The only thing that'll save it is if it gets people to fall in love with the characters (the preview introduced just a bit too much drama too early). I will say there are decent efforts to get the medical stuff at least semi right, but drama will win over medical correctness. I do think it'll get the public interested for a bit, though....but not sure if the heart of the show is good medicine? people trying to help others? interpersonal drama? Etc. Couldn't really get that.

Might have a chance to be good...I know though I can't watch it with people who don't like others talking during movies...cause I'll be unable to keep my mouth shut about the medical procedures or the ridiculousness of the calls they get. I know the actors themselves, though, are good people who put a LOT of time into learning about EMS, the low pay, messed up hours, feeling tired all the time, the mundaneness of many of our days.

PS The show is based off single function paramedics that SF apparently recently got back.

Edited by AnthonyM83

I know the actors themselves, though, are good people who put a LOT of time into learning about EMS, the low pay, messed up hours, feeling tired all the time, the mundaneness of many of our days.

To clarify: I know THAT the actors themselves are good people (rather than I'm buddy buddy with them). Wouldn't let me re-edit

Might have a chance to be good...I know though I can't watch it with people who don't like others talking during movies...cause I'll be unable to keep my mouth shut about the medical procedures or the ridiculousness of the calls they get. I know the actors themselves, though, are good people who put a LOT of time into learning about EMS, the low pay, messed up hours, feeling tired all the time, the mundaneness of many of our days.

I had a really good giggle about this...that's what I was thinking...I even talk through Grey's sometimes...I know I know, but I'm hooked on the drama! Call me weird, but I actually really enjoyed that trailer, as did the partner I'm with today. Somehow really entertaining when you're on the job!

I will watch. For a lot of the same reasons I watch House....they say all the things that I really REALLY wanna say, but would lose my job if I did. And they do a lot of the cool stuff that we only ever see a couple times a year (out here in the boonies anyway) That being said, the general public would have a conniption if they saw what really went on for some of our calls the singing over the codes, the jokes over the traumas....politically incorrect and all that jazz...Heck maybe I'm only going to watch to criticize the medical procedures...or lack thereof...I mean, how long had that guy been down with only cpr before she gave him atropine and he magically regained his pulse and opened his eyes?

Errr, any of these fictional shows can go any way. Hell Id like Rescue Me more if it didnt make us all look like a bunch of sex crazed jerks. I was excited by the title of the post untill I watched the preview.

I voted both because shows like this do raise awareness and interest in the real world of what they portray. Unfortunatley its a double edged sword as people take on careers and quickly burn out when they realize its not what they expected. A good example is CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, after its premere alot of people started taking interest in forensics and even going to school for it, and found out the hard way that CSI's are not cops in the way they show portrays them. Theres information and statistics out there to back up what Im saying but Im not ganna look right now sorry. So yea, in some ways shows like this can be good PR... but in other ways its bad.

What ever happened to GOOD TV like Paramedics or Trauma: Life in the ER? There is plenty of real life medical shows today, including that 911 Bronx or whatever its called, so it cant be confidentiality reasons.

What is up with you people who keep talking about "Paramedics" being a good show? It was friggin' horrible! It was nothing but a commercial for AMR, usually demonstrating how not do do things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.