NBC's new show "TRAUMA"

31 members have voted

1. 1. Based on this teaser trailer, do you get the impression that this will help or hurt the image of EMS?

• Good for EMS image
    • Bad for public image
    • Could be both

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, this has a bit of a taste of a show that was promo a while ago on with the title Mercy Air - it was focused on air med, but many of the things I see have the same impression from it, just they directed so much focus off the air med side of it due to the fussing from the HEMS community. I can't help but wonder if this is not the same deal, just changed around a bit ? Right now I'm taking the seat with it that I did with the others I've seen offered. It supposed to be drama, in very very little way does it reflect actual life, so I'm not really expecting it to make the public go wow so that's what they do. If anything it may give them false impressions as to how exciting our job is. For entertainment, those of us that can look at it and laugh and enjoy it for just that it'll be fine, but I'm not expecting wonders, nor a major disaster. It's TV - the world didnt come to an end with ER when it was turned into a soap opera and people still frequent them just fine (I have yet to see university empty). Perhaps it changed some perceptions and people started expecting warm fuzzy docs like Dr. Greene to come in. But it didn't massively change opinions overall. Nurses are still nurses, docs are docs, and that's just how it is. It was before and it will be again and I highly doubt a show like this to do much for public opinion of EMS. We didn't see a massive overhaul with Third Watch did we? Uh no - so I think some are getting their pants in a ball over nothing.

I should have put an option on the poll for "no change". I think some of you hold that opinion (for good reasons). I might just enjoy it too, as long as I go in expecting a good laugh. It would be interesting to know who their consulting medic was, if any.

Ironically, CBS also will have a new "Trauma" show reflecting Miami emergency services. It was to be named Miami Trauma but due to NBC's new program; producers are looking for a new name.

R/r 911

It looks like it will be the usual night time soap. The producer,Jerry Bruckheimer, is the same as for Miami CSI. He also has another show about Miami on HBO, Cocaine Cowboys, which may have more realism since it is done in documentary format. That is the one I'll probaby be watching to reminisce my early years in EMS.

Show Synopsis

MIAMI TRAUMA is about a team of expert surgeons who work at one of the premiere trauma facilities in the country, where only patients with life threatening injuries are treated. Dr. Matthew Proctor (Jeremy Northam) is new to the trauma team, after a tour of duty in a MASH unit during the Gulf war. Dr. Eva Zambrano (Lana Parrilla) is a workaholic surgeon who is more comfortable in her scrubs than she is out in the real world. Dr. Christopher Deleo, "Dr. C.," is a playboy who thrives on the high-stakes of trauma medicine and is, by his own description, a genius redneck. Dr. Serena Warren (Elisabeth Harnois) is fresh out of medical school, and head nurse Tuck Brody (Omar Gooding) keeps the doctors on track and the patients' families updated in this chaotic corner of the medical profession. Together, this team of doctors excels in the "golden hour," the 60 minutes after being critically injured, when a patient's life hangs in the balance.

Why don't they bring back shows like "Trauma Life in the ER" "Paramedics" or something like that. I enjoy watching those re-runs. I understand the Hippa but they did it before why not do it again. People sign waivers. It shows what really happens. Not just the drama but the fact that Code's don't always turn out for the better. Keep it real.

It would be a very boring show to watch if they kept it real. Would ER have been as popular if you had to watch an hour of Dr. Green treating URIs and UTIs, fighting with drug seekers, xraying ankle sprains and arguing with insurance people?

You mean ER was not an accurate depiction of a day in the life of an ER doctor? :o

You mean ER was not an accurate depiction of a day in the life of an ER doctor? :o

LMAO

Pretty lame, wasn't it?

You want reality- watch Trauma- Life in an ER. They show things like docs rocking out to Nirvana in their break room as they do their charting, and ducking outside to have a smoke in the ambulance bay. That's real life- not the depiction of some superhero.

I will give the show a shot. Television series are made for the viewers to keep them entertained and coming back for more. That being said, like others mentioned, it would be pretty boring to watch "real EMS". The show isn't a documentary about EMS. Remember the series "Paramedics" on Discovery Health I think it was on? It was interesting to watch since I knew what was going on. After a few episodes though, it got boring and I stopped watching it. Now, the show is not on at all anymore.

Judging by that video clip, it almost appears that the show won't focus just on the thrills and spills with non stop shove it on your face action of stuff that happens once in a blue moon situation, rather than twenty times a day. Hopefully, and it seems to me, it will also touch on the softer side of the profession, and the personal lives of the characters. Such as how it affects them, their home life, down time and how they just chill and defuse themselves. We will see. Hopefully, it doesn't end up like "Saved" I didn't even make it through a commercial preview of that crap.

Anybody remember Lew Ferrigno as a Paramedic/human Jaws Of Life on "Trauma Center"?

Or the Paramedic doing the handstand on top of the paddles of a defib unit in a partially water filled tunnel, as he shocked a patient, in "Rescue 77?"

Or Mark Harmon, before he became an agent of the NCIS, or even a doctor in "Chicago Hope", when, as an L A Sheriff's Deputy/Paramedic, he used the power winch to rip the door off a car in an MVA, pull the woman out of the car, throw her down on a backboard, and then place a C-Collar, and, with no warning to the woman, slid his hand down inside her shirt? At least he was holding a stethoscope, and that show was "240 Robert", and was the premiere episode to the 2 year run of that show.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.