Newbie EMT here!

Herbie - Air Angels is no longer in service - they shut down after the crash and were never able to recover.

EMT - you've got a long way to go and a long time to get there. Don't be in such a hurry. Audit an ACLS class - especially if you work with a medic that is willing to teach. If so, you can learn a good bit - granted I come from a bit different mindset than many on here. But I hold a bachelor's degree in the states in emergency medical care/fire science. I've also worked almost every variety of EMS. I will say though - the majority of 911 running in chicago is fire based - very little opportunity for private outside of critical care/pedi transport. There are a few hospitals which offer that option, but most require a good bit of experience as a 911 medic before they'll consider you.

The nursing thing is a good option - if you can get on with an ER or in an ICU as a tech - it's worth it. Many will pay for your education and there is the bridge option out there. I know Illinois does recognize this still at this time. Get the degree - well worth your money for the goals you have in mind. Also, check the search option like many others have suggested - alot of good discussions on here about what you're asking. And definitely gotta have a thick skin around here ! Some of us are a bit prickly, but just make sure you've done your research and you'll be fine. Questions are great and we welcome them but don't be suprised if some challenge your answers. Good luck and welcome to the boards !

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMTBoy, you're probably finding out that there are Fire service based EMS, with either cross trained personnel or, as is the case with my FDNY EMS, EMS mission specific personnel, with CFR Engine companies sometimes assisting. There are also LEO based services, again with cross trained personnel, and mission specific personnel. There is also community based EMS (unpaid volunteers, usually), and proprietary ambulance services that do either inter facility transfers, 9-1-1 services, or combination of both. I might have left out other types.

In each of them, you will find everybody swears by, or at, each type. Wait until the Dust Devil joins this string, you'll see what I mean, as he's opinionated, but has the jets to back up what he says.

Oops, I have to translate here: LEO=Law Enforcement Officer, keeps us out of the name game of Constable/Police Officer/Sheriff's Deputy/Trooper.

come out to southern Cali newbie and get on with a fire based ems career and make over 100 k a year, or live like a dirt bag working private ambulance and live from pay check to pay check.

Plus we have the beach, = girls in bikinis. and we have PERs "public employee retirement system" get 90 percent of your base pay at age 50.

come out to southern Cali newbie and get on with a fire based ems career and make over 100 k a year, or live like a dirt bag working private ambulance and live from pay check to pay check.

Plus we have the beach, = girls in bikinis. and we have PERs "public employee retirement system" get 90 percent of your base pay at age 50.

Funny I work in 911 make good money and benefits with 911 and actually have guidelines that allow me to practice medicine rather than being an over paid taxi driver like californification has. And with californifications financial situation I think you bums free ride on the tax payers shoulders is about to end.

Just to make it more difficult for you I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you want to go to medical school, do not worry about becoming a paramedic. Focus on your premed studies and get the best grades you can. Study hard for your MCATs. Get experience as an EMT while you are an undergrad (it probably won't help your application but it does give you something to talk about during your interviews and also gets you accustomed to dealing with pts and emergencies) and get involved in research. It will take longer than the other routes but you will have a mansion in Beverly Hills, several Lamborghinis, a yacht in the south Pacific and all the super models you can handle (sure beats California EMS).

Funny I work in 911 make good money and benefits with 911 and actually have guidelines that allow me to practice medicine rather than being an over paid taxi driver like californification has. And with californifications financial situation I think you bums free ride on the tax payers shoulders is about to end.

I bet you are "funny" steers and queers in texas right?, anywho why does everyone hate on LA? I mean I have a medical director just like every other medic in the US, unless there are other agencies out without any chain of command ie medical director state policies that I am not aware of? please enlighting me.

Edited by Diazepam618

I bet you are "funny" steers and queers in texas right?, anywho why does everyone hate on LA? I mean I have a medical director just like every other medic in the US, unless there are other agencies out without any chain of command ie medical director state policies that I am not aware of? please enlighting me.

It's your protocols, the scope of practice and your standing orders in LA County. They suck.

Just to make it more difficult for you I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you want to go to medical school, do not worry about becoming a paramedic. Focus on your premed studies and get the best grades you can. Study hard for your MCATs. Get experience as an EMT while you are an undergrad (it probably won't help your application but it does give you something to talk about during your interviews and also gets you accustomed to dealing with pts and emergencies) and get involved in research. It will take longer than the other routes but you will have a mansion in Beverly Hills, several Lamborghinis, a yacht in the south Pacific and all the super models you can handle (sure beats California EMS).

Now you give me this advice minus the girls in bikinis the rest sounds great where do I sign up. Oh wait Spenac said I was too OLD to go to med school. ^_^:huh::mellow:

Emtboy you have been given some great advice here just dont let the lure of money and ems glamour distract you from your goal at being the best you can be. You can be the best at anything you choose you can make things happen with 3 of the best qualities all of us possess and seldom use. Those are Blood Sweat and Tears. Good luck on what ever you choose and what ever road you decide to get there.

Edited by itku2er

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.