Tips for memorizing 2 protocol sets

Hi guys,

Anyone have suggestions on memorizing and operating with 2 or more protocol sets? I'm a medic and it looks like I'll be working in 2 different counties ( ems systems ). Do you memorize one and then note the differences in the other? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks for the advice!

Hi guys,

Anyone have suggestions on memorizing and operating with 2 or more protocol sets? I'm a medic and it looks like I'll be working in 2 different counties ( ems systems ). Do you memorize one and then note the differences in the other? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks for the advice!

Hi,

Most countries have very very similar protocols, but with minor differences if any. Its not usually too bad, things like ATLS, ACLS, PALS and resonably to international standards, its just the levels of allowable care that can really differ.

Anyway what countries are the ones you will work in ?

Regards

Don.

Welcome Don, please note he said counties not countries and in America, they can vary greatly. There can be massive differences between treatments rendered simply by driving 20 minutes north.

As far as country to country, those differences are significant as well based on my exposure to multiple nations in all my travels.

Sonoma and Solano county in CA although I'm still in the hiring process in Solano. I hear you that they are usually similair but I'm finding some differences. The trauma triage schemes are fairly different as one county seems to prefer over triage while the other wants to avoid it discounting co morbid and mechanism (the same county also requires base contact for non obvious activations)

One county treats a BS under 80 the other under 60

One county also defines 3 different pt presentations for narrow tach with a different set of cardio version energy settings.

I'm just going toget to know both verbatim and then sort out the key differences so I'm acutely aware of them.

I'm sure this works out fine usually just so dering if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks again!

I don't know if this would fit with your learning style, but if you're the kind of person who gets a visual image of the page the protocols are written on when you recall them, you might try printing them out in different color inks or at least different color paper. When you're recalling what to do for a situation, you still need to recall the protocol, but it'll be a memory aid in remembering which county it's for.

oops, I totally forgot to give my advice. The color method works pretty well, but don't just copy/paste and print them. Actually write them out, type them, then print out in color codes. That way you have to read them, recite them, then type them.

Do the counties have active, accessible medical directors? Meet with them briefly and get ahead of this, let them know you're simultaneously trying to remember two sets of protocols that while essentially the same, vary in the details. Ask for their patience and trust in your clinical judgement and let them know that until you have both down you'll be referring to your protocols on the call more often then you'd like in order to ensure you have them correct. If both are reasonable they shouldn't have a problem with this. I know my preceptor ran into this when he came to his current service (and different base hospital) after 8 years in another service and a short stint on CCT mixing things up. He carries his book in his leg pocket and refers to it regularly.

Do the counties have active, accessible medical directors? Meet with them briefly and get ahead of this, let them know you're simultaneously trying to remember two sets of protocols that while essentially the same, vary in the details. Ask for their patience and trust in your clinical judgement and let them know that until you have both down you'll be referring to your protocols on the call more often then you'd like in order to ensure you have them correct. If both are reasonable they shouldn't have a problem with this. I know my preceptor ran into this when he came to his current service (and different base hospital) after 8 years in another service and a short stint on CCT mixing things up. He carries his book in his leg pocket and refers to it regularly.

Good advice, it is nearly impossible to memorize all your protocols, let alone two different sets of them. Never be afraid to consult with your medical directors and command doc's. It's what they are there for, amongst the obvious reasons to them being there.

I really don't think counties can vary all that much from one another. Maybe one place says to use one med and other says use a different one. So, yes.. memorize your protocols.

Actually they can vary greatly. My service allows many procedures and lots more drugs and way different dosages on some than the next service one county over. If I went to work for them I would be in danger of practicing medicine w/o a license by exceeding protocols.