National Registry, WHATS WRONG with it ? I'll tell you

Then by all means feel free to drop your card and vacate the "jobe."

I have a hard time calling a fire engine driver/pump operator a "paramedic." He may have a card (obtained to get his job as a firefighter) but I seriously doubt he's anything remotely resembling a provider of pre-hospital medicine.

Look hoodrat why would I drop my cert?, this is the easiest job in world and where else can you make a 100k without a college degree?, and with regards to the OCFA fireman he works in a department with some very high standards I am sure he earned every penny of tha 206k, again the people who give this service away for free are killing ems.

and with regards to the OCFA fireman he works in a department with some very high standards I am sure he earned every penny of tha 206k,

"Very high standards" and "California" don't even belong in the same sentence on an EMS forum. And I'm sure he does an excellent job at driving fire trucks. Its the fact that you're holding him up as an example of a medical provider that bothers us.

again the people who give this service away for free are killing ems.

Since when do you suddenly care about the effects of volunteers on EMS as a profession? Unless you're being a stereotypical IAFF thug wanting to get rid of all volunteer firefighters.

Edited by CBEMT

Then by all means feel free to drop your card and vacate the "jobe."

I have a hard time calling a fire engine driver/pump operator a "paramedic." He may have a card (obtained to get his job as a firefighter) but I seriously doubt he's anything remotely resembling a provider of pre-hospital medicine.

Depending on where you come from, some engineers/pump operators do not leave their apparatus- regardless of the type of call, so anyone in that situation who is a paramedic won't provide any care. In that case, you would be correct. In other places, it's all hands on deck-even on a medical call, EVERYONE gets off the rig and does their thing. Many places do not have the luxury of having extra personnel and everyone is trained to the same level and can switch roles as needed.

Look hoodrat why would I drop my cert?, this is the easiest job in world and where else can you make a 100k without a college degree?, and with regards to the OCFA fireman he works in a department with some very high standards I am sure he earned every penny of tha 206k, again the people who give this service away for free are killing ems.

Here's the operative word. Of course, everyone wants to make a decent living, but for someone to volunteer to do a job that can be very difficult, stressful, and even hazardous (EMS or fire), I think it's damn noble to do it. In some areas, if it wasn't for volunteers, there would be NO EMS or fire protection. Would you be OK with that in your area?

I fail to see why you think volunteers are threatening EMS.

That's like saying if a doctor volunteers his/her time in a free clinic, somehow their salaries would be less in a traditional medical setting.

Things like salary are determined by what the market/area/municipality can bear, based on tax base, cost of living, population, and demographics.

A large area will nearly ALWAYS pay better than a small rural organization. It's simple economics.

In some areas, if it wasn't for volunteers, there would be NO EMS or fire protection. Would you be OK with that in your area?

I fail to see why you think volunteers are threatening EMS.

There are dozens of threads discussion this very topic. Please search the forums and you'll find the answers to these particular questions.

And I think you'll be surprised at what you read.

-be safe

Look hoodrat why would I drop my cert?, this is the easiest job in world and where else can you make a 100k without a college degree?,

Drug dealer, actor, prostitute and air traffic controller to name a few.

I have helped with several EMT-basic courses and I can tell you the goal of the lead instructor's is to make good emt's not good test takers I can understand the consternation with not being given feedback on problems you had on your test(s). I think the goal is to make sure that you know that you know the information. In the field you have to preform the whole package of skills not just the ones you crammed on the most and you pass the course based upon the minimum score.

I don't know if that makes sense. I do acknowledge that I have no experience with Paramedic courses and there could be a different argument based on that.

Oh yeah I love being a volunteer for many reasons but the newest is it annoys the crap out of some people on here.

Oh yeah I love being a volunteer for many reasons but the newest is it annoys the crap out of some people on here.

Amen. As far as the Registry goes. You know the rules going in. Why whine when you don't make it? Adapt your ways to meet the guidelines set. And the answer given at the start of this thread is by far the best. It is a certification agency, not an education center. If you were given your test back you would tailor your retest only on your weak points instead of the whole subject matter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.