Experience to become a paramedic

My opinion, and only my opinion, however, having been in EMS almost 20 years and holding positions as a field medic, QA/QI, and Director of Operations, as well as an educator, I have very strong feelings in that experience is what will build a truely good, well rounded medic. Many educational institutions and services used to back the idea of entering at the Basic level, getting experience, then moving to Intermediate, getting experience at this level, and then making the move to Paramedic. Now, the thought (for whatever reason) is either enroll in a degreed program and get the Paramedics license, or get your Basic and then apply straight to Paramedic, no experience necessary. I've seen both. I am a true believer in that a good Basic makes a good Intermediate, makes a good Paramedic. The opposite is also true; a bad Basic, makes a bad Intermediate, makes a bad Paramedic. Do yourself a favor, take the time, go throught the level process and get the experience. You not only gain valuable insight for the next level, you prove your ability and knowledge to your peers, service, and the medical professionals you will work with (co-workers, nurses, & doctors) and gain respect from them. There is no substitute for experience. Alot of what you will see when you "play" at each level prepares you for the next. You also get to work with the providers at the higher levels and gain valuable insight to the "real" street world, as opposed to the book world.

Whichever way you decide to go, best of luck!

Scott, in your opinion, in what ways does the "real world" differ from the "book world"? I mean, shouldn't a training program be all about applying didactic ("book knowledge") with the experience in the "real world"? I mean, wouldn't those hours spent getting "experience" at the basic and/or intermediate level be better spent in an environment where those experiences can be quantified with researched knowledge, rather than with the theory, conjecture, and legends that pass for knowledge in the "street"?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand your question, you are basically asking why having field experience provides for a better educational experience for an EMT/Paramedic than going forward with the education in school didactically with training in the research and science behind the processes. You can get the education either way, its the understanding, critical thinking, and value I am speaking of. I have always seen the classroom as very controlled, the situation falls into the perfect classroom scenario. Depending on whether your educational institution buys into the scenario based or problem based educational aspect, there is just no substitute for gaining the education necessary at the level you will practice at, and then put it to work in the real world, patient care. Being in class and working simulated patients, is not the same as seeing the real thing in front of you. Would you be confortable with an individual who has all the classroom experience necessary to perform the job, be placed in your living room as a new medic working a true code on a family member for the very first time. Having experienced this with a mentor while obtaining the education allows for a much more well rounded, critical/clinical thinking, and rational acting individual. You can put the science behind the process to work with solid hands on experience.

The book part of EMS education is this; you have this, you do that. Having touched a patient, felt an irregular pulse, heard wet lung sound, administered a drug, dealt with a psychotic patient, worked a code under the auspice of a seasoned medic; all of these things, although they can be practiced in a scenario based situation, cannot be truely comprehended without experiencing the real thing at some point. This is where the individual learns to make the quick decisions in life or death situations. That can't be taught in class, it has to be experienced.

Yup we have beat the horse to death with proof that 0 experience is best approach yet some never listen. ;)

Some only hear what they want to hear. You give them your opinion, but argue it when they have no clue. They just look for someone to agree with them to justify their ignorance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.