Experience to become a paramedic

That's like saying you can tell that, because you don't like being a carpenter, that engineering isn't for you. It just doesn't work that way.

So, paramedic and EMT are soo "drastically different", it would make it impossible to render a determination to continue on this field or not? Huh...interesting.

Oh, and engineering and carpentry? I'm pretty sure paramedic and EMT have more in common and are much closer related than engineering and carpentry. But, don't worry, I think I understand what you're trying to say; apples and oranges, right? Now, that's sounds illogical.

At any rate, as one of the previous posts stated, this is a topic that's been beat to death several times over, so with that said: Over and out.

Edited by emsboy_2000

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The word touché is often used in 'popular culture' and general conversation - for example, in an argument or debate. If one person presents an argument and another delivers a clever or appropriate response, the first person may respond with 'touché' as a way of acknowledging a good response. A synonym of this word would be 'good point'."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch

Edited by emsboy_2000

So, paramedic and EMT are soo "drastically different", it would make it impossible to render a determination to continue on this field or not?

Nope. Not impossible. Anything is possible. Monkeys might fly out my butt.

It's simply not as likely as you imply.

... Monkeys might fly out my butt...

I really doubt this is possible, or plausible....although I love the "anal dwelling little butt monkey line" in Bruce Almighty. Can't watch it without cracking up!!

However, seems maybe this topic has run it's course.

Edited by chaser

My experience has been that the difference between a good paramedic and a bad paramedic boils down to one thing: respect for the job. I have found that respect for this work tends to motivate people to pursue additional study, encourages people to be constructively critical (and honest!) about their mistakes, and instills a sense of humility that so many in this field seem to lack. I believe experience and education are the foundation for good medicine, but in the end it seems those that WANT to do well, do. Those that don't care, or are (as a result?) unwilling to put in the effort, don't.

That said, I believe paramedic candidates need at least a year on the job as an EMT before they move on. My reason for this is because this job isn't simply about the medicine. In addition to caring for patients, we need to know how to handle a scene, to be aware of our surroundings, to elicit histories from uncooperative patients under stress, to properly handle equipment, interact with other medical providers, and coherently write a report. There are logistics to this work that students ought to have mastered before they attempt to build on them. Paramedics are tasked not only with managing the medicine, but also to function as a leader on scene. For that reason, I think we need people who know their way around a scene and an ambulance -- so that they can focus on the rest.

I really doubt this is possible, or plausible....although I love the "anal dwelling little butt monkey line" in Bruce Almighty. Can't watch it without cracking up!!

However, seems maybe this topic has run it's course.

We used to say "When pigs fly" .... and now ... Swine flu ... anythings possible ....

My experience has been that the difference between a good paramedic and a bad paramedic boils down to one thing: respect for the job. I have found that respect for this work tends to motivate people to pursue additional study, encourages people to be constructively critical (and honest!) about their mistakes, and instills a sense of humility that so many in this field seem to lack. I believe experience and education are the foundation for good medicine, but in the end it seems those that WANT to do well, do. Those that don't care, or are (as a result?) unwilling to put in the effort, don't.

That said, I believe paramedic candidates need at least a year on the job as an EMT before they move on. My reason for this is because this job isn't simply about the medicine. In addition to caring for patients, we need to know how to handle a scene, to be aware of our surroundings, to elicit histories from uncooperative patients under stress, to properly handle equipment, interact with other medical providers, and coherently write a report. There are logistics to this work that students ought to have mastered before they attempt to build on them. Paramedics are tasked not only with managing the medicine, but also to function as a leader on scene. For that reason, I think we need people who know their way around a scene and an ambulance -- so that they can focus on the rest.

Honestly I feel that anyoen who is competent enough to become a medic is competent enough to build that foundation of scene management, working with patients etc. You also forget that the medic isn't the only one on the truck and I don't know very many services (at least none in this area) that will put a green medic with a green EMT and if they do in my opinion that service has shitty management. Whats that old retarded line; Paramedics save lives, EMT's save medics"? It is of my opinion that anything you need to learn about patient contact will be done in your clinicals, and anything you need to learn about the field is done while you have a medic precept AND an EMT, Intermediate, or even another paramedic partner on that truck. In my case we have 450 hours of hospital clinicals which is the equivelent of 11 1/2 or so weeks of an actual job. Then you have another 500 hours on an ambulance so that's about 25 weeks total (rough estimate, don't feel like basic math right now) of practicum. During each you have experienced people watching and educating you (or at least I hope you do), in which you can learn by doing, ask questions, and screw up semi safely. When I first started as an EMT I can tell you that in 6 months I was able to have a firm grasp on basic patient management for a variety of situations, scene management, ambulance protocols, etc.

why does everyone want the easy way and the short track to becoming a health care provider? It's not like you are learning to bake cakes or program computer software. You are saving lives essentially. Getting the most education and the most experience should be what you want to do.

It is up to each and every individual to further their education and to improve themselves as a healthcare provider. Think of it this way, how many nurses and doctors for that matter don't know their ass from a hole in the ground....who went from HS to College to med school (or nursing school, or trade program, whatever). Now how many doctors and nurses do you know who are competent and overall amazing. They took the same track as the other nurses and doctors (generalizing for a moment). How is that different than being a medic with no experience prior.

Edited by Dominion300

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.