Run or Shuttle

firedoc5

One thing we always argued when it came to the bi-yearly eligibility test was, what's harder, quarter mile shuttle or a fifteen minute mile run?

It seemed like they alternated the two when the test was given. I did the shuttle. Running a certain distance, stop, pick up a object, and run it back the same distance equaling a quarter mile.

I too have ran a mile but not as a test. But I know guys that can do that at a fast pace and never break stride.

But I do have it on good authority that now some groups are testing two mile runs. I don't know about that. I've always been a sprinter and not a distance runner, when I ran.

One thing we always argued when it came to the bi-yearly eligibility test was, what's harder, quarter mile shuttle or a fifteen minute mile run?

It seemed like they alternated the two when the test was given. I did the shuttle. Running a certain distance, stop, pick up a object, and run it back the same distance equaling a quarter mile.

I too have ran a mile but not as a test. But I know guys that can do that at a fast pace and never break stride.

But I do have it on good authority that now some groups are testing two mile runs. I don't know about that. I've always been a sprinter and not a distance runner, when I ran.

Depends on your body type, I'm thinking. Long and lanky generally makes for a good distance runner. You don't see too many short, fireplug types running marathons. A shuttle run is also about endurance but it takes coordination and agility. Different stresses on different body parts.

Is this run a part of your job requirement?

They are two completely different types of running. A 15min mile can pretty much be walked. While doing the shuttle run takes more energy and more demanding on your body.

Agreed, but I was thinking about distance running in general. Compared to a 15 minute mile, no question, a shuttle run is far more demanding.