Too Many Students?

Number of Students  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How many students are too many?

• 60+

Ok so I am re-taking my Basic this summer at Mercy College of Health Sciences in Des Moines IA. My question is this. I was told that there might be 60 or so students. Don't quote me on that. What are your guy's and gal's opinions on this? I am not that worried but still I hope that this doesn't affect the skills lab. Last summer there were less than 20 of us.

While lecturer to student ratio can matter a bit, I think skills instructor to student ratio makes the most difference. You can have 20 students and one skills instructor. Or 60 students, but break up skills time into four or five instructors with better ratio.

What happened the first time around?

Edited by AnthonyM83

Instructor to student ratio is very important. Lectures, not so much since only one person can essentially lecture at once. When breaking down into groups, it's pretty tough for one person to deal with many students. One instructor to no more than 10 students should be the max in my opinion. Any more than that, you are stretching your sources and will rush through things to every student gets a chance.

Exactly. Lecturers in College some times speak to hundreds. It is all on you, the individual to take what you want from it. The difficult part is the skills lab. As stated above, the number of students is all relative to the number of instructors. Anyway, attrition usually whittles the class numbers down to a manageable level.

Good Luck with your class.

Jim

Here we have a max of 6 students per lab instructor ... makes sure everyone gets the attention they need ... 1 lecturer for didactic affairs is fine no matter how many students in the class ..

Here we have a max of 6 students per lab instructor ... makes sure everyone gets the attention they need ... 1 lecturer for didactic affairs is fine no matter how many students in the class ..

My medic program was the same way. The class started out with 56 students. When we graduated, there were 20 left. Lectures were done by various instructors, but when we did skills stations, there were many more instructors there to evaluate each group. Usually we went into groups of 5-8 depending on how much help there were and amount of students.

My medic program was the same way. The class started out with 56 students. When we graduated, there were 20 left. Lectures were done by various instructors, but when we did skills stations, there were many more instructors there to evaluate each group. Usually we went into groups of 5-8 depending on how much help there were and amount of students.

Of course there are exceptions an instructor bangs out or gets stuck at work and we have had more but the days we had more than 6 students, there was limited time and very limited attention from instructors imagine 1 instructor trying to give 4-5-6 scenarios at once because we had 8-10-12 students in a group ... its impossible to monitor properly ..

What happened the first time around?

Anthony the first time around I forgot to verbalize the BVM on High flow 02 in our pre-clinical competency. As far as I am aware there are the 3 main college employee instructor's. I also know that I am not as worried on skills as last year. I hope to be able to help with them a bit this year. I always offer to volunteer my body ans sanity as a patient. Last basic class that just finished I decided to volunteer myself and car for PHTLS Rapid Extrication. We have a few adjunct skills instructors'. Thanks for the replies folks.

Ok so I am re-taking my Basic this summer at Mercy College of Health Sciences in Des Moines IA. My question is this. I was told that there might be 60 or so students. Don't quote me on that. What are your guy's and gal's opinions on this? I am not that worried but still I hope that this doesn't affect the skills lab. Last summer there were less than 20 of us.

Obviously less would be better, but...

I don't see a huge problem with the didactic portion, but clearly you need plenty of proctors to help with skills training, and answering questions. I would check to see how many adjuncts or aides the plan on using. You should probably be fine.

Good luck.