NBC Announces 09-10 Line-up: See "Trauma"

I have a feeling that this series will be ridiculous. Still, this is needed. Emergency! was also grandiose in nature. Most of the country had no idea what a "paramedic" was because they really didn't exist (with a few exceptions).

We as a profession need shows like this; if only to attract interest to the profession. Do I think this show will have the same cultural implications as Emergency? No. I highly doubt this show will have someone with the dedication and expertise of Jim Page. The previews seem to confirm this.

The previews have revealed one redeeming quality. They show "paramedics" engaging in apparent highly technical and rewarding skills. It also shows these providers doing so with a great deal of autonomy. One of the biggest problems with our professions is that we attract too few smart, motivated individuals. A lot of society relegates EMS to a skilled trade a step below firefighters and cops. Very few people realize the very large implications our profession will inevitably have over the next 20-50 years in American society. As we begin preparing for things like pandemic flu, advanced practice, and public health prevention it will help if people know what a "paramedic" is, even if that perception is slightly skewed. While there is some philosophical debate to be had about the merits of obscurity vs. skewed public perception, I think this will help.

Lastly I see one good thing coming from this show: I think people are going to see these so-called paramedics doing some pretty crazy stuff. Some of it will be accurate and others not. Maybe this will make the public demand higher education standards and make their local EMS services accountable for their actions.

The good news is that these previews are from the pilot. This show is being billed as a replacement for the mighty ER. They’ll hopefully invest some money in making the show more believable and less tacky.

They show "paramedics" engaging in apparent highly technical and rewarding skills. It also shows these providers doing so with a great deal of autonomy.

Lastly I see one good thing coming from this show: I think people are going to see these so-called paramedics doing some pretty crazy stuff. Some of it will be accurate and others not. Maybe this will make the public demand higher education standards and make their local EMS services accountable for their actions.

If it is truly based on a California dept like SFFD, some are going to be disappointed since their protocols are very limited. But, it may all become just fiction and only those in the area will know how far from reality it may actually be.

I don't believe there are even very many in the state doing 12-lead EKG or intubating regularly and you won't see RSI. Shoving Combitubes in just doesn't seem as glamorous. CPAP is also a stretch as is almost any medicated drip. They will often take chest pain to the nearest facility where an MICN with two EMT-Bs will then transport the patient another few blocks to a cath lab. There will, however, be lots of lights and sirens stuff as EMS rushes off from scene to the nearest facility although sometimes they do manage to get trauma patients to SF General (trauma center) and occasionally not. Once again an MICN and two EMT-Bs will transport to the appropriate facility. I will say California EMS has done a great job at increasing the role and visibility of the MICN.

LOL I did a call JUST like this last week!!

I love how the patient is on a backboard with a c-collar. Yea. Burning tanker truck and someone is going to be messing with c-spine?

So let me get this correct - this is not a tag along show similar to the "paramedics" show that was on TLC it is more a drama/soap opera mentality of Saved? I think few shows will reach the popularity of ER - despite how off real life it could get many times. When I first saw the show, I was 15 and thought it wasnt too bad. THen I went to work in an ER, and boy did my opinion change lol.

Terri - there actually was a show based on flight medics that was proposed called Mercy Air (yes based off the real EMS company though entirely fiction) it's promo is on myspace however, I think because of negative comments by HEMS community and then a dispute with the real Mercy Air I doubt it will ever come to fruition. I may be wrong though - there was also another one that was a "tag along" show for a british HEMS service I believe that showed on BBC. So if you have satellite - may try to find it.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...0c-08da996b814f

link to mercy air promo on myspace

sorry - can't find link to other one. I'll keep looking though for ya terri !

I wonder if they will have any situations were the victom has shit and puked all over themselves that will make for real prime time drama. As far as real lets look at history Rescue Me, Third Watch, Towering Inferno, Back Draft, ER. Yea I'm sure it will be real with all the patients wearing make up the lights all turn green when you want them and everyone getting more tail then they can handle.

I am not sure what you guys want from these shows.

After all this is the ENTERTAINMENT industry. Face it.... Our jobs are not that entertaining at the best of times. It is pretty easy to follow an ambulance around for a day, do 10 calls, and not need the cot once.

People do not want to see us pick up drunks and offload them in the ER waitingroom, or pick up a lonely elderly lady and sit in the ER hall for 2hrs waiting for a non-priority bed.

People want Drama..... why do you think ER had so much success?? because of accuracy? Ya... that will be the day I can roll up to an ER and have 2 trauma Doc's jump in my rig for a report only to get me directly into a room...... for a nosebleed.... pfft

If we want the public's perception to change... we must change it, not armchair quarterback some stupid T.V. show.

Gotta give Hollywood an attaboy on that one, at least the guy in uniform is wearing gloves. In reality, though, that patient would have died... Because the scene clearly wouldn't be safe, and few are daring enough to try something like that.

trauma_5_gallery_primary.jpg

LOL I did a call JUST like this last week!!

Edited by 4cmk6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.