Watch New Zealand's Paramedics in Action

Thats interesting! So you guys don't secure the patient to the board at all? Here in the US it is pretty much required if we are going to immobilize the c-spine. Do you rely entirely on the collar to prevent movement of the head/spine?

Unfortunately we are creatures of habit, and often the treatment we take for granted is less than ideal for the patient. The US is one of the few places who continue to use the spinal board (traditionally an extrication device) as a transportation device.

Anyone who has ever had a "fully immobilized patient" turned on their side when vomiting, will know just how little immobilization (particularly lateral) the spinal board provides.

Prehospital gold standard remains the vac mattress.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who has ever had a "fully immobilized patient" turned on their side when vomiting, will know just how little immobilization (particularly lateral) the spinal board provides.

I would argue that this would depend almost entirely on the quality of the job performed by EMS... A properly boarded/collared patient should not move on the board no matter which direction you turn them. That includes padding voids, etc.

In any case, in the video they are still transporting ON the board, just not strapped to it. Seems to me to be even more dangerous....

The first episode was pretty interesting. It was cool to see how other countries operate, we seem to do things pretty much the same. Except, we generally park our ambulances on the street.. not over the curb and in the grass :)

Look forward to watching the other videos. The chick medic in that hanging looked pretty cute too. :)

Edited by FireEMT177959

Fox we do indeed, where are you looking at visiting, I am based in Mt Wellington in Auckland city *main headquarters for northern region* let me know ahead of time so I can organise the forms and paperwork for you.

The cardiac arrest videos, as far as I can ascertain, are cut and edited. The show is filmed here in Auckland where I am based. The patient was intubated via the RSI method in the truck and then started to regain his gag reflex which was then stopped. I work in CCU and have looked after these patients afterwards.

I have to agree on the female EMT in the hanging video too ;).

There is a general bit of annoyance with the show here as it is so cut and edited, one episode showed a cardiac arrest and the camera flicked to the monitor and the medic said vtach when it was vfib, talking to the medic later, they hadnt filmed the part of the monitor showing vtach but happend to film vfib, so its a bit higgldy piggldy the way its remixed.

Thanks Ben for posting these as it gives overseas a view of what we do. In regards to the strapping, we use scoop stretchers for transport and only secure the head if there is potential for c-spine injury. Everyone else doesn't get secured in terms of the head blocks and tape. The long spine board is still used to help extricate and transfer to the stretcher. Notice our two stretchers in the trucks? lol.

Scotty

Everyone else doesn't get secured in terms of the head blocks and tape. The long spine board is still used to help extricate and transfer to the stretcher.

Scotty

WOW

You actually think before you act?? Teach us!!

:lol:

For those of you who do not understand this concept... Simply locate the most prominant vertebra (around C6-T1). Now turn your head side to side and look up and down.... see.... does not move at all!!

This is why I am against blindly throwing a collar on EVERY suspected spinal patient.

Really.... A stab wound to the abdomen, and your going to collar him?

Anywhoo.... back to the thread

Thanks for the videos they were both educational and entertaining. I know how much of a pain in the butt it can be to format the files correctly so thanks.

So are the ambulances staffed with basics and intermediates? Or is advanced care paramedic really advanced and there are basic paramedics?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.