EMT starts association in Indiana

Dustdevil

Meh... I can't see any point to this, or any good coming from it. Fifty bucks says it will disintegrate within two years max.

http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=1...mp;nav=menu54_2

EMT starts association in IN

April 20, 2009 02:03 PM

April 21, 2009 07:24 AM

By Nicole DiDonato

Posted by Jill Lyman

EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) - Thousands of paramedics do not have an official organization to belong to. That means there is nothing to ensure adequate staffing when you need an ambulance, even the continuation of EMS in certain areas. Now, something is being done in Indiana.

Robert Bauer has worked as an emergency medical technician and paramedic for ten years. While Bauer would like to continue working within the EMS field, for many other paramedics, the time will come to move on.

"EMS is a transient profession. People will move into either nursing or medicine because they can't perform the functions of a paramedic anymore," said Bauer. "It's limited as to how far you can go."

So Bauer felt compelled to create the Indiana Emergency Medical Services Association. The purpose, to combat the turnover rate and keep EMT's working in the field.

"We'd like to see some recruitment efforts to have adequate staffing to cover emergencies," said Bauer.

Bauer used facebook to reach out to other paramedics and people who support this cause. He quickly got up to over 650 members. It's even something the Department of Homeland Security deems necessary.

"They feel this is something that is long overdue because EMT and first responders out on the street need to have a voice," said Bauer.

Bauer has met with EMT's across Indiana and has over a dozen requests for memberships. He even has certificates and pins being made for members.

While the Evansville community strongly supports their EMT's, Bauer says there are smaller communities that do not.

Being part of the IEMSA will ensure both medics and residents that emergency service will be there. Right now, Evansville will be the home of the Indiana Emergency Medical Services Association.

Robert Bauer hopes to have an office set up within a year.

"If someone needs an ambulance, and they are not available, part of the blame will fall on the EMS for not having an association to ensure their future, said Bauer. "Part of the blame could fall on the community for not supporting them. This is a joint effort and the community can very much get involved."

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does already fractured EMS in the USA need another association on top of all the others one's pulling the profession in a potentially different direction than all the others. We need some unity of voice and purpose not another organization with a limited scope adding to the caccophany. Couldn't the issue of retention within Indiana (and the rest of the states) we addressed within the framework of another organization (save the IAFF or IAFC)?

Many states have organizations. Take Texas it has one http://www.texasemsat.org/ but of the 55000 EMS people only maybe 5000 are members. If all would join then they could make some noise as a state but also to back a National organization. But sadly EMS is a joke and no one will do more than talk tough on forums. If we want to talk tough and get recognition we have to organize, not unionize.

If we want to talk tough and get recognition we have to organize, not unionize.

This whacker is doing more than talking tough. He's blowing smoke out his arse. I want to see the newspaper interview him again and ask him what specific plans he has for assuring EMS coverage for everyone in Indiana, as he claims he will do. That's a pretty grandiose goal for an "association". Sounds like he gets his inspiration from Osama Obama. All BS with no plan.

Personally I'm a member of the Ontario Paramedic Association and have been since before I even started my program. I've been active with the OPA's new PR campaign (sweet poster designs to watch out for) and have attended lobby days at Queen's Park for EMS. I don't even have a job yet. (here back Monday. Fingers crossed.) I hope I'm not alone on this board in being an active advocate for my soon to be profession.

Having local representation is important, but there needs to be unification. For example, the Ontario Paramedic has local chapters throughout the province (not enough yet, but a start) and is itself a chapter of the Paramedic Association of Canada. While not perfect (see Alberta College of Paramedics and PAC) this does help present a unified structure for advancing the profession separate from the unions whose primary focus is and should remain advancing the standing of their membership.

Hi there,

My name is Robert Bauer, I'm a Paramedic in Evansville, IN. I noticed through Google that the Indiana EMS Association has taken some interest in this forum. First of all let me clear up a few things.

This was a story done by a TV station to help promote the organization shortly after a press release. The reporter actually did us a pretty big favor by helping to bring awareness our way. While you may be focused on the fact that this story is more about recruitment and retention; that is not the sole, or even primary purpose of this organization, just the hook to cram a lot of information into a minute long TV news story.

The purpose of the organization is to be a voice for EMS providers, to be advocates for the EMS system in Indiana. We are an affiliate of the NAEMT, we are incorporated as a non-profit domestic corporation. This organization is set-up under IRS rules 501 c 3. We are a public charity, not a union. Our by-laws mirror those of the NAEMT.

In Indiana, there is no other, and has NEVER been any other organization that represents all EMS personnel. This was pointed out to me by 2 different Indiana EMS Commissioners. The EMS Commission (our governing body) is made up of appointees of the Governor... one of which represents EMTs, one that represents paramedics. There are also other bodies represented. To date, the office of the Governor(s) has never had an association to take recommendations from EMS personnel for their appointees.

I started this with the support of 2 EMS Commisioners and a who's who of Indiana EMS figureheads. They have all long supported a grassroots effort to create such an organization, but for them to do it, would be a conflict AND would devalue the nature of the organization. Other supporters include Dr. Bryan Bledsoe, outspoken EMS educator and advocate and Bob Loftus, President of the National EMS Museum and former NAEMT Board Member. We are also supported by our affiliate organization the NAEMT.

We are in the infant stages, but have had both State and National level support. I intend to see that this is up and running, there is a lot of work to be done though.

While I appreciate that certain people have strong negative opinions regarding this; I remain very optimistic. I also question why an organization poised to promote professionalism, education, and the general welfare of EMS would be under so much srutiny by someone who remains under mask and vail.

So from this 'whacker', if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions you can contact me at 812-484-9790. If you would like to e-mail me send it to rpm911@yahoo.com. If you would like to discuss it face to face, feel free to visit me here in Evansville, I'll even put you up, and buy you lunch.

Also I'm sure the members and supporters would love to hear your comments, if you would like to send your e-mail address to me; I would be happy to distribute it to those folks, so that they can contact you as well.

Thanks,

Robert Bauer NR/CCEMT-P, FP-C

President

Indiana Emergency Medical Services Association

P.S. While our official site is not yet available, a brochure, and other materials may be downloaded at www.inems.net

Edited by rpm911

While I appreciate that certain people have strong negative opinions regarding this; I remain very optimistic. I also question why an organization poised to promote professionalism, education, and the general welfare of EMS would be under so much srutiny by someone who remains under mask and vail.

If you have any hope whatsoever of success, you're going to need to stop with the bold assumptions already. I am the least "mask and vail (sic)" person on this forum. I've been here for years. My real name and photographs are posted all over the forum, as is my e-mail address and bio. You won't need to distribute my phone number to Dr. Bledsoe, as he already has me on speed dial. While I won't presume to speak for Bryan, having known him for well over thirty years, I can tell you that we have both seen our share of wide-eyed naivleings like yourself launch themselves into a grandiose scheme to unify EMS voices and change the world, and have seen none of them succeed. He himself has lent substantial effort and support to EMSAT (mentioned above) only to watch it wither on the vine year after year from apathy, accomplishing nothing in the process, save for whacker licence plates. You see this may all be a revolutionary plan to you, but to those who have been around since you were in diapers, it's nothing but the same old song and dance by someone intent on re-inventing the wheel.

So why the interest by me? Isn't that what you went to the media for? What were you expecting? Were you wholly unprepared for any scrutiny? Did you think that everyone who read the story was going to just write you a cheque and praise you as their newfound saviour? Publicity is a double-edged sword. You have to take the good with the bad. If your organisation stands on it's merits, you have nothing to worry about. But you made some pretty big claims, and I simply pointed them out and expressed my well-founded scepticism. You should be happy that someone actually noticed.

For the record, I hope you kick arse and take names. I hope you end up with thousands of members, and the legislators and bureaucrats of Indiana bowing down to your agenda, whatever it is. I care about this profession. And any victory you celebrate is celebrated by all of EMS. I just don't think you're going to see any of this come to fruition. I stand by my two-year timeline for total implosion.

But if you have further information that you are willing to tell us regarding the vision and agenda of your organisation, and how you plan to achieve it, I would like to hear it. Especially how you plan to "ensure adequate staffing when you need an ambulance, even the continuation of EMS in certain areas." We all would. No need to hide behind e-mails or private phone calls. Share with your brothers and sisters here.

Best of luck,

Robert Davis, RN, BS, EMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.