Affirmative Action Stupidity

Dustdevil

ROFL!

I love how this thread brings up the "Interracial Singles" dating advertisement in the right margin. :lol:

Slavery ended over a century and a half ago. If you can't overcome less than a hundred years of repression in a century and a half, then perhaps it is time to accept the possibility that failure is simply in your genetic make-up. Or else you can do as you personally have obviously done, and move forward.

By the way, it wasn't the white man who invented slavery. Slavery came from Africa to begin with. Those sold into slavery were already slaves -- to other black Africans -- in Africa. Had they not been lucky enough to have been sold to America-bound slave traders, they would still be slaves. The evil white man has done more to liberate, educate, and progress the black race than the black race has done for itself. If black Americans don't care enough to better themselves, then why should the white man care?

Slavery is a much a generalization here and doesn't do the issue justice as it is when talking about the civil war. It simplifies a complex issue and boils it down to buzz words. For example it doesn't address continued immigration from Africa and the Caribbean and how that hasn't significantly changed test results? Why is that when these people are coming from there own countries?

And why are they considered "African American" for the sake of these demographics? WTF does a Haitian, Jamaican, or Dominican know about American slavery? They have no ancestors who lived on American soil during slavery. And I, as a second generation African American myself, have a closer tie to Africa than most so-called "African Americans", yet I am white, and Jewish to boot! These labels are meaningless. And to make policy based on nebulous labels is discriminatory and wrong, no matter who it is aimed at.

The test was about firefighting, not fine dining. All the candidates are firefighters, that recieved the same training and had the same ability to study the information on the exam. The position they are testing for is one that requires the requisite knowledge and leadership ability. They will be required to make decisions that could cost someone their life, and if they don't possess the knowledge to make a sound decision they shouldn't be in that position, regardless of their shade of gray.

Exactly.

Edited by Dustdevil

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that every time we have this type of discussion someone brings up racism, Blacks are dumber than whites, slavery.

It's like saying that since my son's doing poorly in school and he is 1/16th american indian that this is the reason that he is doing poorly in school.

It's time to give the Slavery argument a rest.

It's time to give the "a poor black man can't get anywhere in this country because he's black." a rest. That argument sailed when Obama was elected president.

I bet Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are soon to be out of a job.

The race card sailed when Obama became president.

The race card sailed when Obama became president.

I wish that were true. But unfortunately, it seems to have only morphed the "oh, poor me" mentality into one of, "Now we're in power, and it's time for payback!"

Edited by Dustdevil

Dust, you are right again but in a perfect world blacks would no longer be able to say "I'm black so I can't get ahead" or "woe is me, the white man is holding me back"

The race card will continue to be played, fair or not, but that is the way that the generation before us and this generation feels.

As for the African American, if you were born in the united states then you are an american, not an African American because you did not come from africa. You came from a black woman and black man who also more than likely were born in america.

The only ones who can say they are true african american are those who immigrated from AFrica and settled in america. If you were born here you are an american, not african american.

My ancestors came from Scotland and I don't call myself a Scottish American, I call myself an American.

I also agree with you that if you cannot get ahead of the slavery argument and slavery ended 160 or so years ago, then you might be too stupid to pass any type of standardized tests.

I have no sympathy for those who continue to use the race card because to me it only shows your stupidity when you use it. It's a time worn argument that people who have no solutions use because that effectively ends the argument because the other person becomes intimidated and cowtowed into shutting up. Once the race card is used the person using it effectively and theoretically ends all intelligent discourse from here on out.

It's time for some in the african american population to get over the slavery argument and get on with their lives and produce intelligent discourse instead of "hatred and discontent"

Once the race card is used the person using it effectively and theoretically ends all intelligent discourse from here on out.

A variation of Godwin's Law.

Shall we call it Ruff's Law?

To be honest, I too think the slavery card has been played out.

If you need a race crutch to use look north my friends. We give the "Native Americans" (First nations) all the freedoms they deserve as long as they stay in thier reserve (read: cheaply built houses in our wasteland). If you leave the reserveland and try to start a career we force our culture and governing upon them.

Hey.... I think it has got to be said.... African americans can always go back to africa to enjoy thier own culture/freedoms if they think America is racist. Natives are "home".

Kinda brings racism/oppression into perspective in my opinion.

To be honest, I too think the slavery card has been played out.

If you need a race crutch to use look north my friends. We give the "Native Americans" (First nations) all the freedoms they deserve as long as they stay in thier reserve (read: cheaply built houses in our wasteland). If you leave the reserveland and try to start a career we force our culture and governing upon them.

Hey.... I think it has got to be said.... African americans can always go back to africa to enjoy thier own culture/freedoms if they think America is racist. Natives are "home".

Kinda brings racism/oppression into perspective in my opinion.

It all boils down to that Mobey, if America was so bad then there are always other places to move to.

Sort of like the celebrities who said "If Bush is re-elected they are going to move to france" Yet not one of those sniveling idiots made good on their promises.

Whilst obviously being on the other side of the planet, we have similar race issues happening here with the "indiginous" people of New Zealand, who have lowered rates of health care, higher poverty standards and higher rates of drug and alcohol abuse and many are happy to blame the "pakeha (which is their name for us which translates to white pig) for this.

The natives were a stone age culture that had not invented the wheel yet and now the radicals are fighting against us for control of the seabeds and foreshore and wanted control of the airwaves because its something they wanted under their sacred rights..... but hang on they didnt exist back then even for Europeans.

I am over the race card, I've seen it in every job I've had, from retail to health care, in that special allowences have to paid out to individuals based on skin colour or ethnicity. Human beings are human beings and excuses run thin. I have many black friends who have moved from the USA and lived here and had children here, and their kids are Kiwis, not African Kiwis, not African American Kiwis, they are Kiwis and my friends have become New Zealand citizens so are Kiwis also.

Saying that "slavery did this" is a poor excuse, and "I didn't have a chance at school" well I'm sorry, but there is such a thing as night school, and services to enhance. Like Annies story, all of us have something in our pasts "I have Moriori blood who were the first people to New zealand but the Maoris "the current ones" murdered many, ate most and took the rest of my people into slavery". Do I use that as an excuse???? HELL NO, do I hate Maoris because of it HELL NO. I am individual with the same size brain as you, and I chose to use mine and learn and strive, Crotchity, you are a paramedic with a wealth of knowledge, so are you now wanting to contradict that and say "oh sorry I'm black I don't actually know what I'm saying"? Because your post suggested that black people are undereducated and because of being held back with "slavery" are 200 years behind etc, so that means you are still using roots and herbs instead of defibrillators and midazalam.

This is not aimed to be racist, this is pure and honest truth and if you are standing by what you posted in your post crotchity, then you are implying that you yourself are 200 years behind us. Give me a break.

Scotty

quote: EMTAnnie:

I'm not buying the "little thing called slavery" excuse... and to me, that is what it is - an excuse.

AGREED so shoot me for having an opinion that is not "popular" .

Hiring or Promotion BASED on % and numbers (i.e. affirmative action) is in ITSELF a clear definition of racism, sexism.

2 Wrongs do NOT make a Right, this is just over compensation based on the guilt of our forefathers errors and political correctness to the extreme.

Hey:

I didn't do anything wrong, so why am I as a White European, North American Born, being held responsible ? I had nothing to do with historical politics and when it comes to the "First Nations" issues either. We are absolutely over the top in N.A. with human rights crazy, where new immigrates to Canada have more rights than a "White European Canadian Born" from families contributing years of military service and + + + taxes, if fact they built the country. Soooo don't get me going on that topic !

Point being when does "affirmative action" END, When hiring/promotion based individually in merit, experience, education and seniority, I can hope.

When the percentage of this group vs. that group becomes equal to population base ?

This its just irrational and illogical thinking.

Some of my family history is that of the IRISH (if anyone wants to look into the persecution of that group as well) The thing is most groups of immigrants have been in some way persecuted. Frankly, I get so sick and tired hearing of "other groups ancestry and how badly they were treated" and forcing it down my throat and pointing fingers with their families ancestral history, when this or that group have no knowledge of MY family history ... now thats pisses me off.

Ever hear of the Jews, Polish, Ukrainians mass murdered by the Nazis complain that they were did not get hired by the fire department because their grades were not good enough, NO! I bet $$$ the "WHITE" people's ancestral ethnicity was not evaluated in these exams. Look to the root cause of the individual's failures DO NOT compare ethnicity as this just promotes racism, its OVER NOW with Obama being your President !

It make's those attempting to use the Race Card a mute point.

Turn the Page !

Edited by tniuqs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.