Help with posting a long ekg strip

FireMedic65

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give us the Reader's Digest version? Present a case study with critical learning objectives along with the highlights of the strip. Saves you the work and tickles our fancy at the same time.

Take care,

chbare.

Give us the Reader's Digest version? Present a case study with critical learning objectives along with the highlights of the strip. Saves you the work and tickles our fancy at the same time.

Take care,

chbare.

This guy walked into the ER complaining of indigestion. In his mid 40s with no prior medical history besides a broken leg when he was a kid. During the assesment he had no other complaints besides "the worst heart burn I ever felt". He stated he had not eaten anything out of the ordinary and never had any type of reaction like this before. If I remember correctly, he had pork chops. When I was drawling labs on him, he said he was having trouble taking a deep breath. At that same time, the monitor beeped and flashed a PVC on the screen. I put him on 15li o2 and took the blood samples down to the lab. When I came back, about 3 minutes later he was getting a 12lead ekg (sorry, I do not have a copy of it and at the time I did not know what I was looking at in regards to a 12 lead so I cannot say for sure what was on it.). From there on, it just progressed worse and worse. Every time there was any change on the monitor, it would spit out a second strip. I would have to get the strip out and go over it more to lead you through the actual progression in his rhythms.

What I can say is though, he went through the classic stages of a heart attack. Everything from bradycardia, to the heart blocks to VT, to VFIB. He did go into cardiac arrest, and he was defibbed, which you can see on the strip. I do not recall what all medications he was given aside from the basic ACLS drugs.

He was in an "unstably stable" condition at the ER doc put it. All during this, the flight team was called in and he was taken away to get a cardiac cath. I have no info on him past that.