That feeling you get when doing 75 in a 45 and you pass a cop..

FireMedic65

I get that feeling sometimes going to calls.. Heart beat increases, BP prolly goes up, hence the warm feeling in the face and chest, slow down, look back.. Never follows me. One of the SP officers told us once at an accident, they have an unwritten rule, thats why we get off the hook. Not like I'm wreckless, I don't even speed that often, in fact I have a bumper sticker "What's your Hurry? Is it really worth the loss of your life?".

I believe there are unwritten rules like that all over the place. No one really abuses it or anything.

I normally never speed either.. but hey... I was on a 15mile or so long highway stretch that was almost all straight, no turns or anything. Just cruising along ya know.

Heart beat increases, BP prolly goes up, warm feeling in the face and chest.. Happens to me when I'm driving in places that have no signs, and I don't know the speed limit. I have a bumper sticker "What's your Hurry? Is it really worth the loss of your life?".

That's what I was going to say it was. You can get a good adrenaline rush, and a bad adrenaline rush.

The example of seeing your kid jump into frigid water would be enough to make my butt pucker. :blush:

Edited by firedoc5

Its your amygdula identified a threat and had your sympathetic nervous system ready your body to fight or flight from the threat. The amygdula percieves the information before your prefrontal cortex will process it. However the officers radar is faster.

I know the feeling you're talking about, and why you'd associate it with a parasympathetic or vagal response.

It's different from the feeling when a car's about to hit you or a patient comes at you with a knife or when you hear a loud noise. Like was said, it's more like when you see a family member injured or realize you just F'ed up big time.

You get the adrenaline rush, but at the same time feel your stomach get queezy or even feel the blood rush out of your head (not in the vasoconstriction way, though).

My guees is a vagal response (as when hearing bad news), but also adrenaline release, which overwhelms parasympathetic, but you still feel remnants of it?

Or maybe it's the same Epi and sympathetic response, but your mind attributes it differently...and thus evokes different emotion (fear versus anger versus PANIC)?

actually.. the cop waved to me. but that's besides the point. I was curious of what causes those "feelings" the body gets when situations like that happen

:lol: You sure he was waving and not shaking a finger at you? :lol: (j/k!)

It's the same feeling you get when you see your son jump off the top bunk onto the floor or you see him jump into 43 degree water (with a life Jacket on of course).

Oh, that's a nasty feeling. The bottom dropping out of the stomach and the adrenaline rushing at the same time.

I think the technical term for that feeling is the "Aw Sh*t!" response with an increased sphincter tone. LOL

Dang it, Herbie1, you beat me to that answer! :lol::lol::lol: