What's your rule out ( real call )

NYCEMS

you find a 56 yr old male supine in bed unresponsive. no obvious signs of injuries.

b/p 122/76

rr 16

pulse 84

pupils constricted.

sugar at 144

family sts pt never goes to doctor and therefore they have no medical history for him.

they do state pt alcoholic and last seen a & o was night before. Also that pt doesn't use any drugs.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you find a 56 yr old male supine in bed unresponsive. no obvious signs of injuries.

b/p 122/76

rr 16

pulse 84

pupils constricted.

sugar at 144

family sts pt never goes to doctor and therefore they have no medical history for him.

they do state pt alcoholic and last seen a & o was night before. Also that pt doesn't use any drugs.

do you want us to figure it out or are you going to tell us? This section is for discussion of EMS stuff. If you want to discuss what happened, go ahead. If you want us to figure out what is going on with the patient, please move it to the scenario section.

b/p 122/76

rr 16

pulse 84

pupils constricted.

sugar at 144

4 questions to start

What's a "rule out"?

Is the sugar normal ( we use mmol in Canada... sorry)?

Temp?

Signs of drug use?

do you want us to figure it out or are you going to tell us? This section is for discussion of EMS stuff. If you want to discuss what happened, go ahead. If you want us to figure out what is going on with the patient, please move it to the scenario section.

ok didn't know there was a section for senario's only. I use that in the future.

4 questions to start

What's a "rule out"?

Is the sugar normal ( we use mmol in Canada... sorry)?

Temp?

Signs of drug use?

rule out means what do you think the pt may have.

we don't check temp at my job but pt was warm to touch

no signs of drug use

wa have 120 to 200 as normal glucose level

So rule out = Differential Diagnosis. Gotchya

Any history of current illness from family?

Is the patient responsive to pain?

Loss of continence?

12 - lead?

SpO2/skin coulor and condition?

Have partner do a search of the house for medications (or empty bottles that should contain them)

So rule out = Differential Diagnosis. Gotchya

Any history of current illness from family?

Is the patient responsive to pain?

Loss of continence?

12 - lead?

SpO2/skin coulor and condition?

Have partner do a search of the house for medications (or empty bottles that should contain them)

Als advised normal 12 lead, pt is incontinent ( sorry left that out)

Skin warm dry and unremarked. Pt not on any medications as family sts pt doesn't go to doctor.

pt unresponsive to pain

when was his last drink? I'm willing to bet it's alcohol related. Seizure from not having a drink for awhile.

late seen alert and drinking alcohol the night before

I do know the outcome of the pt if you'd like me to fill you in now say so.