Mobile Data Terminals

MDT's  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Does your agency currently utilize MDT's and if so, do you think they are useful.

• We never leave the station without it
    • Admin is too cheap to buy them
    • We don't have a need for them
    • We have it, but I'm dropping it off the side of the bridge

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 2 seperate computer systems in our truck.

1) Toughbook for use of CAD and Mapping..... We have Premier MDC by Motorola (CAD) and Premier ATM Moblie Mapping both about 10 yrs old and in need of being replaced... as the need for this poll.

2) DRT Technologies HH3 "Hammerhead" Tablet computers for ePCR's.

3) We're currently awaiting for the new toughbooks (the swivel / touchscreen ones) to be realsed to the road crews to replace the hammerheads.

Our ePCR program is Image Trend v 3.8 EMS Field Bridge. Great program if you got the hardware to handle it. The program itself takes a gig of RAM to run, if windows takes approx 30% of a gig and there is only one gig available, the program runs at about 70% and crashes constantly.

Nifty,

We have the new Panasonic toughbooks. Really, really sensitive screen. I mean, you barely have to touch it to make your entry. I would suggest your service invest in the clear screen cover (or maybe it comes with it?) as this will help protect the screen. You will have to use the stylus provided with the toughbook. A retracted pen will no longer suffice.

We also use the Zoll RescueNet tablet ePCR. Not quite as impressed with that as I am with the toughbook. It's not a bad programme, but I'm sure there is a something a little better. It is the only ePCR I have used, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Have toughbook 30's internal GPS, touch screen.

Verizion connection, not reliable.

New world mobile program, (is what 911 uses to pick closest rig, and mapping) seems to be the biggest problem, had to do alot of modification requests to adapt to EMS from LE.

Rescuenet epcr, no major problems.

I would like to know what software everybody else uses to connect to their dispatch or 911 center for closest rig and mapping ect.

There is a distinct difference today between MDT wich are sued in dispatch, mapping, etc and E-PCRs for clinical documentation.

We have both. A laptop mounted int he rig linked to disaptch for mappng, dispatch , communication, etc.

And a tough book (and a desktop too) in each station with ESO (we used to use healthware) that we can take on calls.

MDTS' ...LOVE them. We use Northrup grummen software. Whole County (PD, fire, ems) on it. Had them here for over 12 years, liike everything lots of bugs initially, now partof our operations so much people panic with out them.

E-PCRs: Slower than just writing charts in MS Word or PDF...but otherwise a huge bonus fro QA, better billing, etc.

The service I'm precepting with has toughbooks in every truck. They are used primarily for PCR completion and have no link with dispatch. They do have a mapping program in the laptop, but it does no turn by turn or GPS even though the trucks all have AVL's. I give them a big fail for missed opportunities. The computers and software were a big investment aren't being used to their full potential.

There is a distinct difference today between MDT wich are sued in dispatch, mapping, etc and E-PCRs for clinical documentation.

We have both. A laptop mounted int he rig linked to disaptch for mappng, dispatch , communication, etc.

And a tough book (and a desktop too) in each station with ESO (we used to use healthware) that we can take on calls.

MDTS' ...LOVE them. We use Northrup grummen software. Whole County (PD, fire, ems) on it. Had them here for over 12 years, liike everything lots of bugs initially, now partof our operations so much people panic with out them.

E-PCRs: Slower than just writing charts in MS Word or PDF...but otherwise a huge bonus fro QA, better billing, etc.

I agree with you on ESO. We used Ortovis before we went to ESO. Most of the time, it's great. We have guys who leave out a lot if they don't have the Q&A controls, so this system helps a lot.

My apologies for not translating. MDT/KDT is Mobile Data Terminal/Kenescope Display Terminal. An old name for a television is a Kenescope.

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry if I messed up your poll.

If it were possible to get out dispatch center onto something like the MDTs mentioned here, I'd push for it for all of our county services. It would help tons.

Prior to the FDNY/EMS merger, EMS tried an experiment, called "Silent Dispatch", where, between calls, at least one person had to stay in the ambulance, no matter what, so they could get assignments sent to their MDT, without talking on the radio. Get the call, push the button signaling "en route", use voice radio if there was a problem only.

That fell apart, when they discovered too many units crossing each other, going to calls. The eastern unit wouldn't know they were closer to the call given to the northern unit, because they wouldn't even announce the cross street where the call was nearest to. Response time actually went up, not down. Also, too many personnel were complaining that, even though it was simple chance, only one crew member was able to get coffee, or whatever, while rushing back with their purchase as calls came in as the other sat in the truck, monitoring, awaiting the beep from the MDT saying a call was received.

I just found this as a mention from the Vice chair's report of District 4, of the New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association's newsletter, "The Pulse", March 2009 edition. The article was concerning ongoing difficulties between the independent VAS units operating in NYC, and the FDNY EMS Command.

This should be an idea of costs of the MTD units and portable radios in use.

We would also have to purchase MDTs and radios at a cost of $18,000.00 per ambulance.

In a separate article on EMS providers in the NYC area, it is also mentioned as follows:

Voluntary hospitals running 911 ambulances have been notified that the Motorola model MW800 MDT computer has been discontinued by the manufacturer and replaced by model MW810. The two models, although compatible, are not interchangeable. Pricing on the new model has not been finalized due to configuration issues but is expected to be in the range of the older model which went for $2,700 in 2003. A full MDT setup including monitor, software, keyboard, mounts, etc costs over $8,300 per vehicle. Motorola’s local representative for FDNY and a number of city agencies is Altech Electronics on McDonald Avenue in Brooklyn.

A side note: The 9-1-1 system in NYC is under the control of the FDNY EMS EMD, where we have control over our own FDNY EMS Command BLS and ALS ambulances, BLS and ALS ambulances run by hospitals that they "volunteer" for 9-1-1 service, which the system refers to as "Voluntaries", and community based VAS/VAC departments, under a MARS, or Mutual Aid Radio System, which is under scrutiny and discussion within the NYSVARA's districts 4 and 18, which both operate within New York City.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.