Grand Jury Investigates Cleveland Paramedic Cheating

VentMedic

I have grown up with Fire based EMS and have seen the very best and the very worst. However, when it concerns education and cheating, I lose all respect for the associations whatever they may be when they try to defend or excuse the behavior in this article. It puts the profession in a bad light and creates a serious public safety issue. Shame on the union for promoting such behavior by protecting those who abuse a public trust. A new test with both practicals and oral testing should be administered to all of those involved.

Grand Jury Investigates Cleveland Paramedic Cheating

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009

http://www.emsresponder.com/article/articl...p;siteSection=1

Mark Puente, Plain Dealer Reporter

Plain Dealer (Cleveland)

Twenty-seven Cleveland firefighter/paramedics were called to testify before a Cuyahoga County grand jury Monday about cheating on a life-saving skills exam.

City officials believe a firefighter smuggled a copy of the Paramedic Functioning Test from the Fire Training Academy in October 2007. The grand jury proceedings are meant to identify who took it.

Cleveland police began investigating possible cheating on the exam in July after Emergency Medical Services officials received a computer disc that included a copy of the test. The disc indicated when and where the test was copied and could help police confirm who made the copy.

The city-administered test, which paramedics and other EMS workers are required to pass every three years, emphasizes the most current medical protocols and procedures and goes above what is required for a state certification.

Firefighters who fail the test can't do paramedic duties but don't lose their jobs.

Chester Ashton, head of the fire union, said it's a waste of money to pay overtime for 27 firefighters to stand in a hallway waiting to be called. He believes the proceedings are motivated by politics at City Hall.

"This is a witch hunt," Ashton said. "I don't see any need for this."

The firefighters milled around and talked about taking the Fifth Amendment if called to testify. Ashton said the firefighters appeared before the grand jury but exercised their Fifth Amendment right not to answer some questions on the advice of union lawyers. More firefighters could be called to testify next week.

County Prosecutor Bill Mason and city Safety Director Martin Flask declined to comment on the investigation. Grand jury hearings are secret.

Cleveland officials created the test with help from the city's Physicians Advisory Board and the Public Safety Department's medical director.

Chester Ashton, head of the fire union, said it's a waste of money to pay overtime for 27 firefighters to stand in a hallway waiting to be called. He believes the proceedings are motivated by politics at City Hall.

They will make up the money when they release 27 paramedics and bring in newbies at a lower pay scale.

Unbelievable.

I wouldn't even administer a new test. If found to be guilty of the accused offense, goodbye. I wouldn't want someone of that integrity going into the publics home under the publics trust.There could be 9 guys on a scene where a patient accuses the FD of taking something from the residence... If one of those alleged cheaters is there, of course he will be the primary suspect.

Edited by brentoli

Wow. Why would anyone defend a medic, or any medical worker, who's skills are not up to par? That could put patient lives at risk. I would really hate to live in Cleveland and know these are the people in charge of protecting and aiding my loved ones and myself. And, I thought the Fifth Amendment protects against having to give testimony that could incriminate ones self, not against testifying period. Meaning that, given the advice not to came from a lawyer, they know something. I say get rid of any of them that take the Fifth. Their friendships are more important than the public's safety? Get rid of them.

Edited by Jeepluv77

2 associates of mine were taking courses to become doctors, in classes given in Mexico. Both lost a year, after allegations of cheating within these classes were made. Neither was involved, neither knew who cheated, but after taking the year over, both earned their MDs.

One is no longer with us, the other, as it turned out, was the surgeon who had to amputate the leg, due to gangrene, of my Lady J's mom.

2 associates of mine were taking courses to become doctors, in classes given in Mexico. Both lost a year, after allegations of cheating within these classes were made. Neither was involved, neither knew who cheated, but after taking the year over, both earned their MDs.

One is no longer with us, the other, as it turned out, was the surgeon who had to amputate the leg, due to gangrene, of my Lady J's mom.

So the Cleveland EMS medics took the exam, no cheating. The Cleveland FF's took the exam, cheated and most likely get a hefty pay raise with the medic stipend. They should all be sentenced to work the ambulance for Cleveland EMS. No, that would be an insult to Cleveland EMS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.