Pill Problem

Jeweli39

I have many pills left over from my better-halfs CA tx: hydrocodone, oxycontin, etc. Most of which he never took any of. I have asked his drs, 3 pharmacists, hospice, I even emailed the DEA as to how to dispose of these. Since we aren't supposed to flush pills anymore, what do I do with them? Even Doctors without Borders won't take them. If I had no morals the answer would be easy. Any legal suggestions? :iiam:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have many pills left over from my better-halfs CA tx: hydrocodone, oxycontin, etc. Most of which he never took any of. I have asked his drs, 3 pharmacists, hospice, I even emailed the DEA as to how to dispose of these. Since we aren't supposed to flush pills anymore, what do I do with them? Even Doctors without Borders won't take them. If I had no morals the answer would be easy. Any legal suggestions? :iiam:

Ran into the same problem after caring for my grandmother who died of CA.

In the end I flushed them anyway with my brother as witness as I couldnt get any agency to take responsibility. Better than getting caught with them later.

Most big name pharmacies will take them back and dispose of them for you. Maybe even you local pharm. has a take-back policy? Call around and check, before showing up w/ a bag of pills, though.

Cant speak for everywhere but here when someone is on hospice they are responsible for destroying the medication. Sorry about your loss.

My best wishes to you on surviving your better halfs Ca Tx. Here in NZ, we have a national take back policy on medications with local pharmacies and with controlled drugs especially, though funnily enough, we still say flush the pills away if you're not going to use them OR take them to the pharmacy. Patients who are on controlled medications including narcotics, are monitored when they recieve a script of narcotic etc in the essence the medication balances out and they shouldnt have used soo much too fast etc.

Again, my best wishes to you and your family.

Scotty

Firstly sorry for your loss.

Disposal is very easy, next time you are in hospital (with a witness) drop all meds in a locked sharps container ... these are incinerated so the water is not contaminated.

The actual cost of many narcotics is miniscue, so please don't have guilt feelings about waste.

Getting caught by a LEO with narcotics and not in prescribed in "ones" name can lead to many complications, it appears that you have made every attempt to properly dispose, just document your efforts on paper and a signed document with a responsible witness when you drop them off.

cheers

He's not dead yet! He just never took the pills. He's done with the surgery and tx the drs gave him the pills for. The military hands out so many pills in mass quantity for everything, and I guess his dr was Timothy Leary. As a side note: I did contact the local hospice and they said if a pt who has 'passed' has medications they leave it to the family to dispose of the meds. How screwy is it trying to do the right thing? Thanks for the suggestions.

He's not dead yet! He just never took the pills. He's done with the surgery and tx the drs gave him the pills for. The military hands out so many pills in mass quantity for everything, and I guess his dr was Timothy Leary. As a side note: I did contact the local hospice and they said if a pt who has 'passed' has medications they leave it to the family to dispose of the meds. How screwy is it trying to do the right thing? Thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry about the misunderstanding glad he is still alive. But if the meds came from the VA hospital can't they take them back at their pharmacy and dispose of them?

Ok, well since we are both in Florida, just mail them to me or better yet, name a place and I will meet you there and take possession of them. I know a real good way to get rid of them, so don't you worry. :)