We are all sick

Ok.....We've DXed what's going on. When are we going to outline what's being done with the pt's? I know a lot of the people who post often on here work in the city. I find it interesting to see if you can figure out he logistics of getting these people to treatment.

Ruff, you said that there's only a small bus. Not in a small town!!! We've got kids to be transported in from the farms. We need a big bus some where within 20 miles.

I'll pick up from here and see if you can figure out your logistics.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.....We've DXed what's going on. When are we going to outline what's being done with the pt's? I know a lot of the people who post often on here work in the city. I find it interesting to see if you can figure out he logistics of getting these people to treatment.

Ruff, you said that there's only a small bus. Not in a small town!!! We've got kids to be transported in from the farms. We need a big bus some where within 20 miles.

I'll pick up from here and see if you can figure out your logistics.

Ok, well the only bus available at this moments notice is the oats bus which with 6 rows and 4 person per row you get 24 patients that can go via this bus. So this bus will suffice

I have the logistics set but this isn't for me to decide it's your call. how would you transport these patients.

Remember 9 ambulances which will arrive within the next 30-60 minutes.

you already have two ambulances there - so they are booked so you have 7 additional ambulances and you have 5 helicopters already committed to this incident and an additional about 4 or so that are within a 100 mile radius. You have a heli base at the hospital which has a ready supply of aviation fuel so if the 100mile or so away helicopters need fuel there is plenty of fuel available.

So it's your responsibility to get the patients out. Not mine.

The total number of patients you have are 35.

9 of which are kids which are in bad shape

That leaves 26 patients left that are not in bad shape.

Great senerio Riff Raff sorry I didnt play but I been distracted the last couple days. ;););)

Good Scenario indeed, we dont have the native type of mushroom you described growing here, but we have enough deadly native flora and fauna to cause issues.

The ones who aren't so bad now, arent necessarily going to remain not so bad soon, if thse young ones got to the extent of unresponsive, im sure the adults would be heading that way, i guess transport the ones that arent actively vomiting yet by the bus and the ones that are vomiting, either by helicoptor if they can be taken, or via the next ambulances coming.

Just a question though, are the ones "not so bad" parents of these kids, because there would be issues revolving around them wanting to go with their kids, could kill two birds with one stone *and sorry bad analogy I know but couldn't think of anything else*.

Again great scenario, I need to get my thinking cap on for one of my own to write.

Scotty

Ok, well the only bus available at this moments notice is the oats bus which with 6 rows and 4 person per row you get 24 patients that can go via this bus. So this bus will suffice

I have the logistics set but this isn't for me to decide it's your call. how would you transport these patients.

Remember 9 ambulances which will arrive within the next 30-60 minutes.

you already have two ambulances there - so they are booked so you have 7 additional ambulances and you have 5 helicopters already committed to this incident and an additional about 4 or so that are within a 100 mile radius. You have a heli base at the hospital which has a ready supply of aviation fuel so if the 100mile or so away helicopters need fuel there is plenty of fuel available.

So it's your responsibility to get the patients out. Not mine.

The total number of patients you have are 35.

9 of which are kids which are in bad shape

That leaves 26 patients left that are not in bad shape.

5 kids out by scene flight. 4 out by ambulance to hospital. That takes your two on scene ambulances to the hospital. 24 ambulatory in by bus. Pass out puke bags as they board.

Get the other two out by police car. Have one mutual aid ambulance continue for territory coverage.

Unless your LZ is close to the incident you will need to transport to it. Also the IC needs to coordinate with the local ER's that will be receiving and a place will be needed to care for and monitor the Greens on the bus if you take them to these small hospitals your describing they will be no better then if they stayed were they were. The hospitals will be over burdened with the kids you launched. I think I would send the most urgent patients by air to lessen the load on the local Hosp. and let them treat the greens. While transporting the greens a one on one history of each is warranted some may not have ingested anything bad at all. I think you said 5 helicopters how quickly can the round trip to make my plan work. You can assume with a emotional trauma like this something is going to show up medically in the greens.

I'm wondering how many ingested the mushrooms and are still asymptomatic. Keep in mind it has a 6-12 hour delay followed by sudden onset, so I would not be comfortable letting them drive themselves anywhere. Which also raises the question of whether they can be transported by family members that didn't eat the mushrooms or if they are also considered patients and should be transported by us. I just see there being huge liability issues if we let them drive out of there and they suddenly fall ill and wreck their vehicle.

As for the ped's patients overwhelming the system

We have a level 1 ped trauma center 140 miles away

A level 1 ped center 55 miles away

Another peds center 80 miles away.

With 2 other centers who can handle peds very well both 75 miles away.

These hospitals will not be overburdened by 9 peds.

The 5 helicopters are here waiting to tkae the patients

There are 4 other helicopters within striking distance

5 kids out by scene flight. 4 out by ambulance to hospital. That takes your two on scene ambulances to the hospital. 24 ambulatory in by bus. Pass out puke bags as they board.

Get the other two out by police car. Have one mutual aid ambulance continue for territory coverage.

Good thinking! If you can't fly them immediately, they become a priority to be stableized while waiting for their turn to fly.

As for the ped's patients overwhelming the system

We have a level 1 ped trauma center 140 miles away

A level 1 ped center 55 miles away

Another peds center 80 miles away.

With 2 other centers who can handle peds very well both 75 miles away.

These hospitals will not be overburdened by 9 peds.

The 5 helicopters are here waiting to tkae the patients

There are 4 other helicopters within striking distance

Good resources around to care for the pts. Remember that 9 peds alone may not overburden the local hospital but the total will. I'm working from the point of view of having a 25 bed hospital with a 4 bed ER. We can handle it, but it becomes a MCI for us.

Someone commented about getting and IC set up. Good thinking there. You're going to have those who refuse to go on the bus and those who refuse to go anyother way. You're going to need to keep track of where the kids are sent for higher level of care. This will also give you control to make sure that no one else on scene ingests anything without your team knowing what they're eating.

Good teamwork is very important in a situation like this in any area.