Malpractice Insuarance for Medics?

I'm sure everyone hears in school about the horrors that can befall you if your documentation is a little off or if you actually screw up, and the large financial penalties you may face in court. Doctors protect themselves with malpractice insurance in the event they kill/injure a patient, should we protect ourselves the same? Can we even get malpractice insurance, and does anyone actually have it?

I'm new to the industry, and in the near future I want to buy a house and start a family. Having all this taken away is a frightening thought

I'm sure everyone hears in school about the horrors that can befall you if your documentation is a little off or if you actually screw up, and the large financial penalties you may face in court. Doctors protect themselves with malpractice insurance in the event they kill/injure a patient, should we protect ourselves the same? Can we even get malpractice insurance, and does anyone actually have it?

I'm new to the industry, and in the near future I want to buy a house and start a family. Having all this taken away is a frightening thought

I have it still its $150/uear for full coverage.... well wort it check out---

http://www.hpso.com/professional-liability...description.jsp

PM me with any more question!

That looks interesting and I think it would be good to have, and at about one cup of Starbucks AKA 3$'s a week its well worth it. I need to do a little more digging before I'm convinced you need it. Most employers have you covered to a limited extent I'm sure.

Anyone Have any experience with company's/services legal protection?

If an EMT,or EMT-P makes a mistake,causing death, doesn't the liability fall into the medical director/or physcian on calls hands? Or is it every man for themselves in the field. I never understood that portion.

It was my understanding that their best bet is to sue everyone involved, and while the services you work for should have some form of coverage, anything over and above that becomes the responsibility of the medic. We operate under a doctors license but unless we bring him online its our call that makes the mistake, not theirs. I think hiding under the face that "its their license" would be a bad mentality for anyone to develop

If an EMT,or EMT-P makes a mistake,causing death, doesn't the liability fall into the medical director/or physcian on calls hands? Or is it every man for themselves in the field. I never understood that portion.

The question is not directed at following protocol, the question is if you actually screw up.

*OOPS forgot to open the airway*

Probably not covered by the Doc's insurance lol

The way I understand it (In Canada) is the employer who carries the liability insurance. Yup... if you forget to open an airway they certainly can personally sue you as well.

BUT... We have a special way of being tried as EMS folk, they put us in front of a panel of our peers (other PCP's for you) and they decide whether what you did is what anyone would do in that situation with the same education, or if you were cowboy'ing or simply screwing up.

It was my understanding that their best bet is to sue everyone involved, and while the services you work for should have some form of coverage, anything over and above that becomes the responsibility of the medic. We operate under a doctors license but unless we bring him online its our call that makes the mistake, not theirs. I think hiding under the face that "its their license" would be a bad mentality for anyone to develop

Thanks for clairfying

The question is not directed at following protocol, the question is if you actually screw up.

*OOPS forgot to open the airway*

Probably not covered by the Doc's insurance lol

The way I understand it (In Canada) is the employer who carries the liability insurance. Yup... if you forget to open an airway they certainly can personally sue you as well.

BUT... We have a special way of being tried as EMS folk, they put us in front of a panel of our peers (other PCP's for you) and they decide whether what you did is what anyone would do in that situation with the same education, or if you were cowboy'ing or simply screwing up.

That's fair

My boyfriend is a paramedic and he has malpractice insurance. When everything is said and done, its not a bad idea to have it. You never know when the company you are working for is going to wash their hands of you and say "You're on your own" Always do what is best for you and your family. Even if that means purchasing a little extra security.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.