If you could go back...

I'm in my EMTB class here in SLC, UT and I'm about a month away from testing for the state. I am starting to feel comfortable with the whole assessment and treatment flow, I was just wondering when you all actually hit the field, what do you wish you had done more of? Anything you might have studied more...practiced more? Obviously I could practice all my skills more and read ad infinitum, but does anything in particular jump out at you?

I would have gotten a nursing degree first, or at least taken a couple semesters of college Anatomy & Physiology so I would have at least some minimal idea of what I was doing and why, instead of just mimicking steps like a trained monkey.

I agree with Dust; now that I've taken/taking A&P, pharm and patho I understand so much more and can really see the limitation of just learning what you have to (i.e. what the cert reqs are)

An ECG course is always a good idea too.

Edited by kiwimedic

Just more field time, I am lucky I have a nursing degree and A&P knowledge to boot, just wish more field time and followed up on more patients as in what the outcome was, did my field diagnosis *yes I know we arent supposed to do it, but we are human we have knowledge for a reason* was correct.

You will succeed because it is evident you wish to learn and know more, study when you can, don't be knocked back by the old medics who still think that a bandage and some rectal diazapam solves everything.

Good luck :)

Definetly more field time. The more expirence the better just keep studying and practicing it will all come to you. Its like anything else in life if you dont use it you will loose it. Read on your own outside of class don't let your learning stop when the class is over.

Edited by itku2er

I would have gotten a nursing degree first, or at least taken a couple semesters of college Anatomy & Physiology so I would have at least some minimal idea of what I was doing and why, instead of just mimicking steps like a trained monkey.

Oh come on now. They put trained monkey in space :) You have a good point though. You can never have enough education when being in this field.

I'm in my EMTB class here in SLC, UT and I'm about a month away from testing for the state. I am starting to feel comfortable with the whole assessment and treatment flow, I was just wondering when you all actually hit the field, what do you wish you had done more of?

Don't take this personally, but I'm going to take issue with you claiming that you're starting to feel comfortable with assessment and treatment flow. This is a case of not knowing what you don't know. Sure, you may feel comfortable in class. But when you get to the field and patients aren't presenting the way they did in class (which will happen the very first day you're out of class) then you're going to wish you'd spent more time in school learning to be able to think on your own instead of throwing back acronyms and hoping that'll pass for an assessment.

Anything you might have studied more...practiced more? Obviously I could practice all my skills more and read ad infinitum, but does anything in particular jump out at you?

You need to very quickly realize that this isn't about "skills". Monkeys can be trained to do "skills". They can't be trained to think objectively. Objective thinking is the biggest "skills" you'll need.

The "anything in particular" that jumped out at me was that there is no such thing as too much education. If you haven't already, enroll in some good science courses (Anatomy and Physiology, Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology) as well as some good human studies courses (psychology, developmental psych) and go from there. If you're planning to do this for real and not as a hobby then the educational foundation will serve you, and your patients, much better in the long run.

Good luck.

-be safe

thanks for the feedback...I wish things were taught a little bit different, I do feel like a trained monkey at some points. I don't know if anywhere else has ttg's (teaching and testing guidelines) but we basically have to memorize bullet points for a specific skill, go in a room, regurgitate, and we are considered competent on said skill. I will look into some more a and p courses and continue to study my arse off...scored highest in the class on both of our tests so far (not trying to be cocky, just proud)

Oh come on now. They put trained monkey in space :)

And God bless 'em for their contributions!

B60-00036.jpg

Good topic, funkytomtom!

Edited by Dustdevil

I'm finished my program in two weeks and looking back, I would have placed more emphasis on my A&P. I scored 75% in both semesters of A&P, but I still find too many holes in my knowledge that I want to fill.

I'm strongly considering either auditing the same courses next year (even though I'll be working) or going back to Trent University (same town and where I did my degree) and attempt to get a letter of permission to take the nursing A&P courses (I don't have the time, money or inclination at the moment to take a BscN when I have no interest in working as an RN ad have just finished 6 years of post-secondary education). I'll probably audit though as it's cheaper and I really like the lecturer.

Let me put it this way, I crack my A&P and patho books way more often to look things up than I do my medic books. If you have the option for a full year university level A&P course before starting Paramedic school, take it. At the very least make sure your Paramedic school has a full year of A&P.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.