Improperly Dressed/Safery

FireMedic65

First of all, I am not trying to start an argument between fire and ems. Please don't post up your personal opinions on either. If you don't like one or the other, sorry.

Anyway, my question is this. How often do we see a firefighter, rescue personal, or EMS worker not properly dressed for the situation they are on.

For example: A firefighter at the scene of a car crash, or structure fire. They are wearing a turn out coat, helmet (not strapped), and wearing jeans.

EMS personnel at a crash crash, involved with extrication (in the car holding c-spine) with helmet on the roof. Also wearing a uniform shirt. No heavy coat and just exam gloves.

Feelings, opinions? Does this happen more often than not? How do we address this issue?

Edited by FireEMT177959

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I am not trying to start an argument between fire and ems. Please don't post up your personal opinions on either. If you don't like one or the other, sorry.

???

Feelings, opinions? Does this happen more often than not? How do we address this issue?

Well unless one is in the UK (high incidents of assault there for Ambulance personelle) one should look to stats in NA for types of injuries in EMS ... and a logical approach, back injuries and getting struck by passing traffic or hit enroute to a scene I believe are the biggest inherant dangers ... so should we all be wearing Hi Vis clothing or be wearing preventative back braces and/or better restraint systems in the trucks.

Not wearing PPE in Industry here and if you are injured your on your own, there is no legal recourse, so dont wear protective gear ... well that would be your own fault if you get injured on the job.

cheers

My pet peeve with this is not wearing safety protection you are suspose to. I have actually seen Both fire and EMS providers pull up on scenes in flip flops and no shirts. Not professional in the first place and very much a saftey issue. But common sense should rule in situtations like this. Especially when personal safety is compermised. Safety both of yours and your patients and other crew members should be upmost in your thoughts. Services need to come up with a mandatory safety meeting every month to address issues like this that others have witnessed.

Very good thoughts. Safety meetings definitely should be mandatory for all employees. If you are not properly dressed in appropriate PPE for the situation at hand, you should be told about it. Possibly removed from the scene, suspended or maybe punished further.

Safety is HUGE. tniuqs made a very good point in wearing hi visible clothing. Wearing the proper clothing and gear is also very important. Too many people get injured for senseless reasons.

Not wearing the proper PPE or any at all for the matter not only puts yourself at risk, but the other rescuers you are with, and even the patient.

I see it too much, people not in PPE and actively involved in the operation. Why line officers or supervisors let this go on, is beyond me! (I have even seen white helmets not dressed properly).

I hope more people realize this issue and do something about it.

Example randomly pulled from google images:

wreck06_30_2001_3.jpg

That is exactly what I am referring to. Thank you for the good picture. I assume it was a hot day by the way they were dressed. Regardless of heat, put on all gear! Is it comfortable, no. Is is safe? HELL YES. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire right?

We are no benifit to the patient if the rescuer needs rescuing. :huh:

At my station, our policy is, you don't wear it you don't ride. You show up with out it, there's hell to pay. Every active member has gear that meets all safety requirements. On our coats we have the new reflective vest with the five point break outs. Why? Safety that's why. Safety is the number one priority. Don't like it? Go somewhere else, we don't have time for mistakes or injuries.

Do you wear all your gear for training? I know the answer is yes. So why not during the real thing? Do as you train, train as you do. Common sense, training, and the ability to listen can save a lot of lives and prevent a lot of injuries.

Use your head.

There is another point to be made (sometimes it gets my goat er sheep) the Safety INDUSTRY is booming for industry ... why is that ?

Well its not JUST because of safety, as many times it is just defural of liability or responsibility for that industry only and to the employee, the risk assessment for law suits in buisness is a huge issue and if a sub contracted "safety consultant's" screws up then the blame is pointed in that dirrection, one of the major reasons I do not persue that occupation.

Cant tell you of how many Safety PPLE have never done the job they supervise .. they follow the regulations and not common sense ...

Mind you responding as FF or Medics aint exactly by the book on many situations, we respond to those that have screwed up in the first place, but don't be another statistic is my goal.

cheers

Am looking for a bumper sticker that says:

Paramedic on Board.

Sure, go ahead and Pass me.

I will introduce myself later.

There needs to be an assigned safety officer responsible for ensuring compliance with rules and regs. PPE used, proper equipment brought to patient, proper safety precautions practiced. There also needs to be a discplinary procedure in place for people who refuse to abide by the rules with appropriate consequences. People who enforce rules are not the most popular members, but they serve a vital role- keeping us safe and ensuring we go home to our families every day.