For anyone with an anus

Jeweli39

This may be uncomfortable for some of you to read, so don't feel like you have to.

At 48 years old, my husband was passing blood and had been for 3+ months. He went to the Dr. who eventully got around to reqesting a colonoscopy. The eventual diagnosis was stage 3 rectal cancer - not colorectal that would have been easier treatment wise. Radiation, chemo and surgery followed and all the changes these tx include. He has worked out 3 days a week since we was 16 yo, non-smoker, not a heavy drinker - he was healthy. From this event he is now incontinant, can't hold his bowels, impotent, and will be having another surgery to have a permanent colostomy bag installed in two weeks.

I ask you this favor: get a colonoscopy. It begs to be made fun of and we have too. A camera up your ass for a short time (they do knock you out for the procedure), or wetting the bed. The discomfort of having to drink the 'GoLytely' to clean your pipes out, or impotence. It's not a hard choice. Get the damned test so you won't have to use accessories to do things you used to do without thought. For you ladies: we get mammograms and paps, this isn't any worse.

There are so many really good medics out there and we need to stay healthy. If you have any blood in your stool - get checked. If your insurance will pay for a colonoscopy prior to age 50 get one done. The military health system here is more flexible with the age thing. Please encourage anyone close to 45 yo to get it done. A hour with a camera up your butt is easier than the alternative.

This may be uncomfortable for some of you to read, so don't feel like you have to.

At 48 years old, my husband was passing blood and had been for 3+ months. He went to the Dr. who eventully got around to reqesting a colonoscopy. The eventual diagnosis was stage 3 rectal cancer - not colorectal that would have been easier treatment wise. Radiation, chemo and surgery followed and all the changes these tx include. He has worked out 3 days a week since we was 16 yo, non-smoker, not a heavy drinker - he was healthy. From this event he is now incontinant, can't hold his bowels, impotent, and will be having another surgery to have a permanent colostomy bag installed in two weeks.

I ask you this favor: get a colonoscopy. It begs to be made fun of and we have too. A camera up your ass for a short time (they do knock you out for the procedure), or wetting the bed. The discomfort of having to drink the 'GoLytely' to clean your pipes out, or impotence. It's not a hard choice. Get the damned test so you won't have to use accessories to do things you used to do without thought. For you ladies: we get mammograms and paps, this isn't any worse.

There are so many really good medics out there and we need to stay healthy. If you have any blood in your stool - get checked. If your insurance will pay for a colonoscopy prior to age 50 get one done. The military health system here is more flexible with the age thing. Please encourage anyone close to 45 yo to get it done. A hour with a camera up your butt is easier than the alternative.

Thank you for this.

I wish that your husband will recover very soon. I know how it feels like since I had to deal with cancer in my family.

I am sure everything is going to be just fine.

Take care.

Everyone says I'm a perfect asshole.

Therefore I don't need one.

Actually thought of getting one as a bithday gift to myself.

But it is too expensive.

Am saving UP money.

Hope he is improving and has the best outcome.

Edited by robert gift

Unfortunatly this is the reality for alot of people.

If one were to start getting routine colonoscopys it would also make sense to get upper GI endoscopy, Head, chest, and abdominal CT, bone scan, ultrasound, blood work, urine analysis, stress tests, and pulmonary function tests.

Obvioustly this is not a reality.

I feel for ya, and hope your husband adapts to the challenges life has set out for him.

I had one when they looked there was a tax collector looking back. cant hide shit.

best of luck for your husband. question tho is there any blood work that can spot markers for the cancer? I have a family history of prostate cancer so this doesnt sound to scary of a procedure but not getting poked in the butt still seems better.

I had one when I was 22 because of what appeared to be serious bowel problems(they were thinking Crohn's). Luckly, it was only colitis. It really wasn't that bad. Yeah, the prep kind of sucked, but I was knocked out for the procedure and had no pain afterward. What I did have was the peace of mind knowing that it was nothing serious and the episode would pass. I fully intend to have regular colonoscopy's starting whenever my doctor deems necessary. As for the women out there, it's not as bad as a pap if you ask me. And you usually don't have to do it every year.

Thanks for sharing.

I have just landed back in the US only yesterday, having buried my Father last Thursday who succumbed to Colon Ca with liver mets.

I intend to get a colonoscopy in the near future even if I have to pay for it myself.

I had one last year, simply because my doctor told me, as I am past 50 years old, it was time for one. Prior to that, I had been getting a blood sample taken for some kind of testing to similar purpose.

I did, at the time, kind of wish for an adult "Pampers", or whatever that alleged diaper supposedly worn by the jealous lady astronaut when she drove across the country to confront her "Love Rival". Turns out I didn't need it...much. I did wear old clothing, while in transit to and from the testing facility.

They didn't knock me out, they only applied some local anesthesia, although I had no idea what they were showing me on the TV monitor as they did the procedure.

I add my wishes for a quick recovery and adjustment to whatever follows the surgery.

Remember, John "The Duke" Wayne was wearing a colostomy bag for about a decade and was still making movies almost to the week he died.

Outstanding issue to discuss. I've had a couple of them done, but was put out for only one of them. I don't know what the embarrassment is when it comes to having one done regularly, especially after 50. I don't know how many times I've heard people that did have a condition and said that that they should have had one done much earlier. Even if nothing is found, it's worth knowing that it can be one less thing to worry about. And earlier the detection the better.

My first wife had ulcertive colitis and saw what what she went through. Those with UC and Crohn's go through so much.

So I will echo what Jewli said. Please get tested.