Accelerated (18 day) EMT programs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what DCAP-BTLS stands for.... I think I learned it somewhere??

I guess that means I am not very good at assessing a trauma patient.

/sarcasm

To be fair, DCAPBTLS is the most useless acronym ever. I first heard it and thought, "So you want me to look for trauma injuries? Got it."

To be fair, DCAPBTLS is the most useless acronym ever. I first heard it and thought, "So you want me to look for trauma injuries? Got it."

During my provincial scenario/exam I actually said "I am assessing the abdomen for DCAP-BLS" just to get a rise out of the proctor. Unfortunatly, according to thier flowchart, that was the right thing to do!

:huh:

Well I agree; if you have no medical background and auctually want to be a decent provider stay the hell away from these courses; if you have medical background and just need the cert then maybe it's just what you are after.

3 years of schooling and you don't know what DCAP-BTLS means? hmmmmm you sure you got your money's worth? but seriously

I learned it in ITLS yet I have filed it away for just such an occasion that I might have to take the nremt testing again.

Mnemonics help you pass the test but in the field no-one truly cares whether dcrapbtls is there, all we want to know is do they have a fracture, or a burn, or whatever else they have goin on.

Mnemonics do not a good provider make.

Edited by Ruffems

Obviously I wasted 3 years on my Health Science degree in Paramedicine. Could someone please explain exactly what DCAP-BTLS stands for?

Deformations

Contusions

Abrasions

Penetrations

Burns, Bleeding

Tenderness

Laceration

Swelling

I think I'm missing a few since a couple have multiple meanings. It also seems that every school teaches it slightly different, but the above is the general idea.

So is anyone with the proper education going to let the rest of us in on the secret of DCAP-BTLS? What does is mean?

Edit: Disreguard. I posted at the same time as JP.

Edited by ERDoc

My EMT class was 400 hours long it included anatomy, physiology, human body in health and disease, psychology and health law. All college credits that I put towards my degree.

The EMT portion of the class was 4 hours a night two nights a week and six hours on Saturdays. Altogether It took about a year. This was about fifteen years ago.

This class has gone by the wayside, they have removed the pre-reqs and dropped the Saturdays.

On a side note the pass rate of this class was about 40%. Whats funny is they removed the instructor who was a paramedic with about 20 years experience and a BS in biology, because the pass rate was to low and replaced him with an EMT with no college education and little experience. The pass rate a few years ago was about 100% . Its a joke.