Deadly Ambulance Crash Tucson Az, A Reason No Passengers Allowed

spenac

my company is well aware of how i feel about things. I am not one to sit back and let my thoughts be unknown.

Sounds like you work for a pretty desperate/unprofessional company, If you worked here you would be fired.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No firefighter rides in my ambulance unless they are a patient.

<<<<<<Plus we do not do rolling codes. Any service worth anything does not do rolling codes they are against current guidelines.>>>>>>>>

Wow, no "rolling codes?" Well, like most of the subjects here, there is no one size fits all solution or answer to the issues we face. I'm glad my last rolling code saves were not aware that "no operation worth anything doesn't do them" or however the last hero stated it. I'll be sure and tell the one gent that the next time he walks into the station to visit with us.. as he often does. He got lit up at 360j, he got an EJ.... he got a couple rounds of drugs... he got bagged.. all as we hauled ass through Sahuaro Nat'l Park code three on the way to NWMC.

Being a very rural dept on the west side of Sahuaro Nat'l Park from Tucson, we also launch alot of helos... often times for trauma. The last several times I requested a bird while working a code, re returned to quarters, closed the door so the bird could land on the apron out front. The flight crew continued working the pt and ended up calling it after a patch with their base hospital. So.. now... I sit here with our rig out of service for HOURS with a deputy drinking coffee with us waiting on O.M.E. to come get our stiff-guy. Is this being a pt advocate?

If I do a rolling code, I do the exact same things the flight crew does and my transport time is practically the same as if a helo was launched (to closest facility). We all know the usual outcome of codes but I'm glad we don't count them all out right away or the couple of people walking around today because I did a "rolling code" would not be here. The possible exceptions are RSI and level one trauma. Even though all our medics at this dept are trained in RSI (and do the CEs) we don't carry succs or etomidate in our drug boxes. We will occasionally launch a bird for the drug box and the flight crew ends up riding in WITH US (the flight crews we work with are as good as they get) and the pilot repositions the aircraft at the hospital. Flight crews have worked rolling codes with us many many times. (Can't do good CPR in a helicopter, huh?)

It is sometimes better (for us) to use a BSI airway, bag 'em and go vs screwing around if we can't get the tube. The level one trauma center is wayyyyy further so we package 'em on birds for obvious reasons there.

What works here may not work there and vise versa. There are so many variables, manpower, equipment, hospital locations, BLS vs ALS manpower available... all KINDS of things. There is no one size fits all somution to the issues we face and its too bad we try and beat up the other guy because they don't do it the way we do.

flapsdwn You can do anything a patient needs in a code w/o rolling. In fact you should be able to do what most hospitals will do which is ACLS. Unless you get ROSC you should not be rolling. CPR has been proven to be ineffective during rolling code per AHA. Glad you got lucky. But had you stayed on scene until you got ROSC outcome would have still worked.

As to you transporting a dead person L&S you are placing the public and yourself at an unnecessary risk. Yes I said dead person because if CPR is in progress they are dead until a ROSC.

You are right there is no one size fits all but when science backs a method and you chosse to ignore it that is just bad medicine. And as to rural EMS I am as rural if not more rural as you so you are not able to use this is the way it works in the rurals with me.

Oh and you don't RSI a code you just intubate.

You that say decide case by case are opening yourselves and your company to discrimination law suits. You either have to live be set standard one way or the other. Case by case leaves to much open to scrutiny. This is why you should be consitent in patent care, documentation, etc. If taken to court you can bet the lawyers will be looking for any inconsistency so they can hang you.

Mateo the harm and danger far out weighs the mental comfort. That 90 miles leads to a lot more being done and you do not want to have the driver or the medic with the patient having to fight with the family member. I do see your point but disagree.

Again Tats are not comparing apples to apples, more like apples to watermelons.

There is no such thing as a Discrimination law suit, unless you are making that decision based on race,gender, age or sexual orientation. If that is influencing your decision, then you need not be in this job.

If taking one with me means they aren't behind me blowing red lights with their hazards on, so be it.

"Always" and "never" have no place in EMS.

A couple things (sorry I ramble folks) One - I worked for the same outfit involved in the fatality accident in question once upon a time and... just interviewed the EMT driver from the incident for a slot in our upcoming paramedic program a week or so prior so I am privvy to some info that was not in the news.

Two - we have a couple frequent fliers (don't we all? lol) where one always (?) wants to ride in with the other. Like many frequent fliers they have serious underlying medical issues... I hope the cry-wolf thing doesn't bite em in the butt someday. Other crews may do what they wish but I no longer allow them to ride in with each other. On one call, she is riding up front with my EMT partner while I'm "treating" her boyfriend's fake seizures in back (fails arm drop test among other things) and develops her pseudo-chest pains enroute. Wow. patient number two is now upfront. Wonderful.

On peds calls I love having Mom in back (belted in) helping with blow-by, etc. Making Mom feel a part of things helps her not to freak out. I've also had a few 15 y/o full term pregnant kids. I want Mom (or someone) on back for.. well... just because.

Our area covers about 175 sq miles with one (sometimes two if we are lucky) ALS ambulances and we have mutual/auto aid with other depts covering alot of area (one other dept we have aid aggreements with covers 275 sq miles with two ambulances). So its not uncommon to have our f/fs ride in ... thier f/f's ride in.. a private ambulance company also sometimes covers for our area when get slammed so someone from our engine might ride in with them.... they might ride in with us. Everywhere is different... boys and girls... wish we could all play better together.

my company is well aware of how i feel about things. I am not one to sit back and let my thoughts be unknown. The difference between me and most, I can put on a pretty dam good game face when dealing with the public. It's easy to full idiots into thinking you truly care what's going on in their life. This job is like any other job, its not more special, or more fulfilling. Its a job.

Even though we know that you put on this display, to look like an idiot here. If you truly thought that way. I would not only fire you, but push to have your cert revoked.

For you to come on a public forum and spot off like an ass, does nothing for EMS. If you truly feel that way, McDonald's is always hiring!

There is no such thing as a Discrimination law suit, unless you are making that decision based on race,gender, age or sexual orientation. If that is influencing your decision, then you need not be in this job.

By not having a consistent policy it opens you to being accused of discrimination on which ever of those grounds they choose. If you say yes to me a calm white person but tell the hysterical Mexican no in court it becomes you denied because they were Mexican.

By not having a consistent policy it opens you to being accused of discrimination on which ever of those grounds they choose. If you say yes to me a calm white person but tell the hysterical Mexican no in court it becomes you denied because they were Mexican.

The one thing you will learn in this job is you never make any decision, unless you can justify your reasons!

To many in this field are afraid of the almighty law suit. You can not live your life or work this job, if you are afraid of being sued over everything.

Back up your decisions and you will be fine!

The one thing you will learn in this job is you never make any decision, unless you can justify your reasons!

To many in this field are afraid of the almighty law suit. You can not live your life or work this job, if you are afraid of being sued over everything.

Back up your decisions and you will be fine!

I don't refuse riders for fear of lawsuits. I refuse as I do not want them interfering with patient care or even causing a wreck as in a panic they distract the driver.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.