Wilderness Emt Class

explenture

Curently an EMT-P looking to take a Wilderness EMT class. Probably one where you 'upgrade' your regular skills with wilderness ones.

Which provider do you think is best? Seems SOLO and NOLS are leaders? What others have you used, or do you recommend?

If I take one of these classes do the credits count for CE's at NREMT-P level?

Curently an EMT-P looking to take a Wilderness EMT class. Probably one where you 'upgrade' your regular skills with wilderness ones.

Which provider do you think is best? Seems SOLO and NOLS are leaders? What others have you used, or do you recommend?

If I take one of these classes do the credits count for CE's at NREMT-P level?

I did NOLS for my Wilderness EMT. They offer a Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals which is a 5-day course to refresh some skills and learn some new ways to approach things. They do count as CEU credits although I forget which one. I did mine at Landmark Learning Center in Cullowhee, NC. It was an amazing week spent with some pretty amazing people.

FROM THE WEBSITE

Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals (WUMP)

Building on your background in urban emergency care you will learn how to improvise equipment, deal with challenging environmental conditions, and make difficult medical decisions in remote locations. This intense, hands-on curriculum utilizes daily role plays, case studies and practical scenarios. Expect to spend plenty of time applying your knowledge. The course will upgrade EMTs to WEMT and all others to Wilderness First Responders in accordance with the current standards in wilderness /rural pre-hospital medicine. (Minimum pre-requisite level of certification for this course is current NREMT or State EMT-Basic.)

Continuing Education:

* Pre-approved for 48 hours of EMT Continuing Education Hours (CEH) by the State of Colorado and the Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS).

* Physicians may earn 36 hours of category 1 CME's through the Wilderness Medical Society. There is an additional fee of $100 for physicians requesting CME's.

* This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint sponsorship of the Wilderness Medical Society and the Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS. The Wilderness Medical Society is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.

* For active members of the Wilderness Medical Society, this course has been approved for 35.75 hrs. (30.75 primary + 5 elective) hours of credit towards a Fellowship of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine (FAWM). There is an additional fee of $15 for students requesting these credits. For more information, please visit: Fellows Brochure

* Course Length: 5 days

* Prerequisites: current NREMT or State EMT-Basic

* Recommended for: EMT's, nurses, physicians, and other medical professionals.

http://www.landmarklearning.org/courses-nols.php

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions!

• 6 months later...

SOLO, WMI of NOLS, and WMA all use the Wilderness Medical Socity as the standard for Wilderness Medicine. So any of the 3 would be fine. I did my EMT-Basic and Wilderness EMT at Landmark and they do an amazing job. I would recomend them. If your already a Paramedic you can just take a Wilderness First Responder if you can't find a Wilderness Upgrade class and you still get Wilderness EMT. The WFR will cover more basics (PT Assessment and BLS skills) than the WEMT but the wilderness content is all the same. Good Luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.