Which Lanes For Multiple-lane Emergent Travel?

robert gift

On Interstates and multiple-lane divided highways, is it best to travel in lane :2: , or straddle the line between lanes |1 :2: ?

Lanes are numbered from inside (center or median) out. |1 :2:3:4|

In the US, the law requests that vehicles move right.

So I try to travel in |1 :

But frequently, |1 : vehicles will move left onto the median shoulder.

This is understandable because those drivers can easily see how far over they can go and it is easier than changing lanes right, possibly into other vehicles.

(Changing lanes, especially to the right, is the most feared driving maneuver. Parallel parking is the second most feared maneuver.)

The EV benefits by not travelling on possible shoulder debris to pass |1 : vehicles which are trying to move right.

|1 : vehicles on the shoulder force me to move right.

:2: vehicles will usually move right towards :3:

So rather than |1 : vehicles changing an entire lane to :2:, they move towards the median and:2: vehicles move right.

This opens a path for the EV much more quickly since no one needs to find an opening to change into the other lane.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEVER PASS ON THE RIGHT. NEVER PASS ON THE RIGHT. NEVER PASS ON THE RIGHT.

End of story.

Pass any vehicle on the right and I will make sure you will not be spending any time behind the wheel of my truck for a while.

Pass any vehicle on the right and I will make sure you will not be spending any time behind the wheel of my truck for a while.
What about vehicles which pull left?

Many do.

First of all, you statement of "in the US vehicles pull left" is not accurate. For example, in Florida, the law is that a vehicle must pull to the shoulder, preferably the right but the left is ok as well. The premise is just allow the car to get out of the way without causing any more undue panic and creating another crash.

As for the "never pass on the right", I do agree this is a dangerous move and must be taken with extreme caution, but there are times you WILL pass on the right and it is fine.

For example, I have approached an intersection before where all traffic was stopped. There was a concrete barrier dividing the oncoming lanes from ours. Every lane was full with stopped traffic, no where for them to go, however the turn lane was empty. As I said this is a very carefully executed maneuver as should every pass attempt be. There is no need to wail your sirens, as you should not be going balls to the wall anyways. You simply get in the turn lane and approach the intersection slowly. Once assured no one is pulling over on top of you, you then utilize your sirens to make your turn or proceed through the intersection. If anyone does pull over on you while in the turn lane, it should be no big deal to start with because your speed should be minimal, and the crash can be avoided.

Second, again in Florida, I have driven up the right hand side of the Turnpike and I-95 many many times. Either the median on the left was too soft to drive in or it was inaccessible because when you get on the road you are already at the far right side and traffic is at a standstill. It is pointless to fight your way to the left when cars have no where to go and it is idiotic to split the traffic when it is already at a standstill which frequently occurs with these high speed crashes on the interstate or turnpike.

I will say one "NEVER". Never drive/pass on the right at high speeds because you are unable to see and appreciate/anticipate the other driver's moves and react in time, plus if you are blasting up the side of a highway on the far right (breakdown lane), you may encounter a vehicle that is parked.

If the move is carried out with extreme caution and is necessary, you are welcome to ride in my truck anytime, no penalty I promise.

First of all, you statement of "in the US vehicles pull left" is not accurate. For example, in Florida, the law is that a vehicle must pull to the shoulder, preferably the right but the left is ok as well. The premise is just allow the car to get out of the way without causing any more undue panic and creating another crash.

As for the "never pass on the right", I do agree this is a dangerous move and must be taken with extreme caution, but there are times you WILL pass on the right and it is fine.

For example, I have approached an intersection before where all traffic was stopped. There was a concrete barrier dividing the oncoming lanes from ours. Every lane was full with stopped traffic, no where for them to go, however the turn lane was empty. As I said this is a very carefully executed maneuver as should every pass attempt be. There is no need to wail your sirens, as you should not be going balls to the wall anyways. You simply get in the turn lane and approach the intersection slowly. Once assured no one is pulling over on top of you, you then utilize your sirens to make your turn or proceed through the intersection. If anyone does pull over on you while in the turn lane, it should be no big deal to start with because your speed should be minimal, and the crash can be avoided.

Second, again in Florida, I have driven up the right hand side of the Turnpike and I-95 many many times. Either the median on the left was too soft to drive in or it was inaccessible because when you get on the road you are already at the far right side and traffic is at a standstill. It is pointless to fight your way to the left when cars have no where to go and it is idiotic to split the traffic when it is already at a standstill which frequently occurs with these high speed crashes on the interstate or turnpike.

I will say one "NEVER". Never drive/pass on the right at high speeds because you are unable to see and appreciate/anticipate the other driver's moves and react in time, plus if you are blasting up the side of a highway on the far right (breakdown lane), you may encounter a vehicle that is parked.

If the move is carried out with extreme caution and is necessary, you are welcome to ride in my truck anytime, no penalty I promise.

Dang AK, you must drive in the real world, like me! ;) I pass on the right a lot, mostly for the events like AK described. I have had partners that were taught to never pass on the right. They will make 10 cars move out of their way, when there is a turn lane open on the right. It is nerve racking. If you drive with caution, use common sense, there is no problem with it. Yes, drivers used to be taught to pull to the right. Most are not taught that any more. I have never put a scratch on an ambulance in 20 years. You must use common sense when driving and not live by myths that are pushed on new people.

In Arizona, cars are by statue to yield to the right. That means, you should stay in the #1 lane. Now...there are those idiots who stop in front of you in that lane, not much you can do but maybe a PSA over the loud speaker. In reference to the right turn in the right turn lane...because cars are supposed to pull to the right and stop, if you are on their right and they pull to the right...you got yourself on Croch's list of ambo MVC's.

Interesting that Florida states either shoulder.

What does California say?

Because of nails and debris, I am always concerned about traveling on a shoulder.

Hate to cause others to go onto the shoulder, but the EV certainly can't afford to have a flat.

So on crowded, slowed interstates or highways I often find straddling lanes one and two allows best progress

and on clean surface.

When exiting an interstate, I have sometimes shut down all lights as I signal right and change lanes to the off-ramp.

At that time I am below the speed limit, so lights are not required, and I am not causing vehicles ahead to slow and pull over onto the off-ramp.

(On I-70, the Eisenhower Tunnel administration wants EVs to turn off emergency lights in the tunnel!)

NY says you're supposed to pull to the right, but drivers who pull to the right are few and far between.

As far as things go here, you pass where ever and how ever you can or else you will sit in midtown traffic like everyone else and it will take you 45 min to get the the chest pain pt 5 blocks away...

In traffic this bad even when passing right or left you are still only driving a handful of miles per hour all collisions should be easily avoided!

I don't see what the big deal about passing on the right is, I've taken 3 or 4 different EVOC classes given they were all nonsense, but I never heard anything about passing on the right. Someone fill me in?

(On I-70, the Eisenhower Tunnel administration wants EVs to turn off emergency lights in the tunnel!)

You're supposed to turn of lights and Sirens on all Bridges and Tunnels, there is no shoulder for the cars to pull onto and you will probably create more difficulty and danger than necessary for everyone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.