Sleep Number Bed

firedoc5

Off topic, sorta, but speaking of beds.. I'd like to see a thicker, more comfortable bolster mattress for ambulance stretchers. No, it's not luxury, but laying on the stretcher shouldn't be torture.

what next, give pt massages? are the rides really long enough to warrant the cost of a more comfortable stretcher? Not that I am against pt comfort by any means, but I would vote for other things in the unit to be either safer for myself or more comfortable for me before choosing a more comfy stretcher.

Actually, I live in a small town and every call takes about 30 min to get to the nearest hospital... so yes the ride really is long enough.... And then there is always long distance transfers, that is always... "fun". Unfortunately I have been the patient on that uncomfortable mattress, and it is not a nice ride.

Back to the topic at hand.. I have a Tempur-Pedic mattress, I'm not big on having an electric bed. Maybe it's just the firefighter in me.

what next, give pt massages? are the rides really long enough to warrant the cost of a more comfortable stretcher? Not that I am against pt comfort by any means, but I would vote for other things in the unit to be either safer for myself or more comfortable for me before choosing a more comfy stretcher.

Like I said, not luxary. Oh great one, forgive me for thinking of the elderly. Who account for about 90% of my calls, riding on the 1" thick (compressed over aluminum bars) stretcher mattress for an hour and a half on rural (improved and unimproved) roadways. I try to include patient comfort into my standard of care, they should be able to relax and have some comfort..

Back to the topic at hand.. I have a Tempur-Pedic mattress, I'm not big on having an electric bed. Maybe it's just the firefighter in me.

Like I said, not luxary. Oh great one, forgive me for thinking of the elderly. Who account for about 90% of my calls, riding on the 1" thick (compressed over aluminum bars) stretcher mattress for an hour and a half on rural (improved and unimproved) roadways. I try to include patient comfort into my standard of care, they should be able to relax and have some comfort..

You are forgiven my son. :D Actually I agree with you. Those of us w/o convience of 5 minute transports really need a way to make patients more comfortable.

Jack passed away Saturday afternoon. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time. His wife and daughter was with him. He just went to sleep so it was peaceful. My wife and I went over and talked with them and another lady who was a friend of the family. The family felt like it was a relief for him and a release for them. His five years of suffering is now over.

firedoc, I am sorry for your loss, and am sorry for your neighbor's family's loss as well. It is always difficult to see someone you care for suffering.

Be proud of your neighbors for wanting to do what he wanted, and that was to be at home. And God bless you for being there to lend a hand.. even though they may not say much now, I am sure it was appreciated more than you know.

Thank you all. Yes, our families were close. As a kid I learned to respect and look up to Jack. The family is taking it quite well. Betty will now be selling her house and move close to their daughter in IN. She was the school secretary for 30+ years so everyone knew her. We were lucky to have them as neighbors, then and now. She will be missed in the neighborhood and the town.

Guess there was a large turn out for the funeral, which is not surprising.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.