d.h.s / dept of aging?

tamaith

I don't know about other states, but here in Arizona, as a paramedic, I am obligated to report abuse or neglect if I suspect it. If I don't report it, it is a felony. The answer to your question is yes, I have reported, and no, I did not do it anonymously. (as a matter of fact, it took about 6 phone calls to make sure the report was taken and acted on.)

Yes I have contacted the local mandated reporter agency. No it was not anonymous. After all, since EMTs are mandated reporters in most, if not all, states, it's kinda of hard to report anonymously and still maintain your legal duty to report.

Elder and Child abuse reporting is a mandate in all states especially where healthcare providers are concerned.

Pennsylvania clearly spells out the steps, procedures and paperwork necessary for the EMS provider.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/l...tocols_2004.pdf

These steps are similar in the other states with just the agency to file the report with and the forms being different.

The laws for Elder and Child abuse reporting should have been covered, even if very briefly, in your EMT(P) class as well as listed in your company's protocol and policy manual.

The hospital ED can be very helpful with this but don't expect them to do what is also YOUR responsibility if you witnessed something.

Yes, when reporting I do give my name and make sure the correct documentation is done.

EMTs and Paramedics here in NY State, like so many others, are mandated reporters.

The FDNY EMS Command actually has at least one person per tour assigned to a desk in the EMD, who must be contacted by the field crew, who then notes all the particulars, and then notifies the New York State office in charge with those particulars.

A paperwork trail, including a copy of the E-PCR (Electronic Pre-hospital Care Report) and the state form reporting the child or elder abuse, will be followed up on. NYPD has a similar format.

Area Agency on Aging; they should have forms in the ER to file complaints or concerns about the welfare of the victim. Just make sure it gets pushed through. Have law enforcement meet you at the ER, if you strongly feel something needs to be looked into.

The FDNY EMS Command actually has at least one person per tour assigned to a desk in the EMD, who must be contacted by the field crew, who then notes all the particulars, and then notifies the New York State office in charge with those particulars.

Wouldn't there be a problem with that since technically the field providers aren't reporting the abuse to the state and anything that the dedicated person reports being considered hearsay?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.