Another Ethical Question

Actually i do not let the alcohol abusers go, I have orderd drug/alcohol test on many employees who either reaked of alcohol but were functioning fine, or were obvioulsy altered by whatever substance they were using (legal, illegal, or prescription). When you set foot on that ambulance, you have a responsibilty to your coworkers, patients, and the public. If you can not control your habits, you need to pick another line of work. It is not OK to be a drug abuser or an alcoholic in this field.

I assume crotchity that you are the picture of health, what 6 feet tall, 190 lbs of lean muscle mass? You have never abused a substance in your entire life. Never woken up with a hangover, or regretted something you did in the clear light of the morning.

Where in Canada do you work dude? Outline your work history. You seem like a troll, pure and simple. Your post count reflects that.

If your partner "reaks" of alcohol or are "obviously" altered by some type of substance, then ya. I would do like any other sane person would do. Talk to them, say listen, maybe you should go home, and go from there. If they refused and I had solid evidence, then ya I might escalate it.

I'm no angel, and people do have problems. It's not your place to pass judgment unless you have substantial evidence.

• Like 1

I am in no way perfect, but i do not use illegal drugs, am currently not on any prescriptions that say i should not drive when i am on the medicine, and do not drink alcohol before my shift. When I do drink, i do not get drunk. It is not about judging someone, it is about safety in the workplace.

Damn it crotch, I told you not to say anything. I told you it was just confectionary sugar and I was just there doing a "standby" for this kind of situation. Seriously though, doctors should be held to a higher standard. Maybe this guy does have a serious problem and it may be affecting his job performance. Many states, though I don't know all of the details for most states, have an office of professional conduct (or some similar name). They often will help the physian get help without the risk of losing their career. It is usually anonymous.

As far as illegal drugs go - in my dept we're tested frequently and if one should pop positive for anything, they better have a darn good explanation because you're not allowed to work even on pain killers without reporting it and having a doctor's sign off (most of the time you get pulled from the truck and definitely not allowed to drive). As far as partner reaking of alcohol and no one talking? Two years ago a fellow was arrested driving an ambulance under the influence. His partner chose not to report him despite him stating there was obvious alcohol smell. I was a former supervisor at this department (thank god left 2 months prior) and had written him up twice for alcohol within 8 hours of shift (which is our call out time) when he appeared wobbly and sent him home. The incident made national news, he was arrested straight out of the ambulance and put in handcuffs, immediately relieved of his job and his license that day by the state board, and is currently serving the last of a 5 year sentence in the corrections facility. So people, yes it does sadly happen. This is not the only report of this either.

I was kinda curious how this thread would go..... 8) :D

I was right..

Ethics and moral issues aren't argued well here anymore...Poor temperament?? :shock:

-Just an observation :dontknow:

I was really going to give it an honest try without critisizing as you can tell by my first post. then the "oh ya.... what if.....?" started and I remembered who I was talking with.

I don't understand what this question is about. We have no responsibility to report illegal activity no matter who it is (save abused minors, in this state). That is the job of a police officer.

Do people really still get these two roles confused? WE ARE NOT POLICE OFFICERS!

I don't understand what this question is about. We have no responsibility to report illegal activity no matter who it is (save abused minors, in this state). That is the job of a police officer.

Do people really still get these two roles confused? WE ARE NOT POLICE OFFICERS!

Its not as to whether we are to police or report illegal activity. You may not have a legal responsibility, but morally you may..depending on your convictions.

The question is more directly whether we should police ourselves as a profession. The broad sense of 'ourselves' as the medical profession.

I think we may have a responsibility, in this case, to take up concerns with the ED Physician. If nothing could be corrected at that point, or an adequate reason given, then additional recourse could be taken. Professionally.

If this person was not chemically altered at work, this is one aspect of the problem. How he is portraying the profession and damaging public trust by being inebriated and setting a bad example in public, this is a professional issue that must be addressed...for some. 8)

He can do what he wants on his own time and in his own home.

Another professional issue with possible repercussions is that he should not be doing cpr, or other interventions altered. Whether at the party or at the hospital. This is negligent.

I would like to reiterate, as a citizen and a professional, you have a moral and ethical responsibility to report illegal activity. Whether you see it this way or not, you have to live with it. :wink:

We all have our own limits of tolerance before we believe action must be taken.

-opinion :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.