Prolapsed Uterus question

Recently while teaching a class and covering OB using the brady book during discussion for a prolapsed uterus following childbirth they instructed and I'm not kidding advocating the basic "push it back in place using the fist" and to leave it there until arriving at the hospital. Now I don't know about you guys, but one I have NEVER heard of this practice and it was concerning to me as we teach students, especially basics to never place anything in the vagina (with the exception of a V to help create an airway if needed for the baby). I've previously taught with other books and in my experience not had this issue, but if so, treat as an exposed organ. Don't push it back in due to risk of increasing infection, cover with moist sterile dressing, and leave it alone ! Anybody else have some input on this?

I have heard both. But during my Paramedic class Dr. Wiley instructed to attempt to push it back in. Be as sterile as possible as you do it though.

Wow. That is an image that will NEVER leave my brain. Duly noted... if I can see that, it goes BACK INSIDE!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.