Monster Trucks need to be banned...6 y/o killed

akflightmedic

When are they going to ban these horrific events??? They are so full of brutality, just another sick form of entertainment. It is mindless entertainment. I can not believe they do not issue helmets to spectators or move them farther up in the stands.

How may people must die before we take action?? How many!!??

(said with sarcasm)

Click link for full article and video

TACOMA, Wash. – Debris flew into the grandstands at a monster truck show in Washington state, killing a 6-year-old boy and injuring another spectator, witnesses and fire officials said Saturday.

A red truck came apart while doing doughnuts during the freestyle competition of Friday night's Monster Jam show, the witnesses said. Debris flew 30 to 50 feet over a safety barrier into the stands.

"Parts were falling off and a piece flew up and hit a little boy," Christine Moe told King Television of Seattle.

Fire Department spokeswoman Jolene Davis told The News Tribune of Tacoma she had no details on the nature of the accident or the injuries to the boy and man.

The Pierce County medical examiner's office identified the boy killed as Sabastian Hizey of Puyallup.

Some spectators told the TV station they had to throw cups off the stands to get the attention of medics. The show continued after the boy and man were hurt, and many spectators left.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090117/ap_on_...ter_truck_death

I don't think the event needs to be banned, however they do need look into more safety precautions. I have been to one of these events at our local fair, they are alot of fun for the kids but they do need some serious safety measures put into place. I wonder what the driver is thinking about all this and why he hasnt spoken out on the subject?

When are they going to ban these horrific events??? They are so full of brutality, just another sick form of entertainment. It is mindless entertainment. I can not believe they do not issue helmets to spectators or move them farther up in the stands.

How may people must die before we take action?? How many!!??

(said with sarcasm)

just saw the 'said with sarcasm'...disregard

No need to say it with sarcasm, as there will be many who jump to that same conclusion. I think more kids die in bathtubs and swimming pools than monster truck rallies. With that being said, I think all motorsports could improve, you shouldnt have your life at risk when you go to an entertainment event. Does any one really believe that a single chain link fence is enough to separate a 3000lb car that is going 180 mph from the fans that are sitting in the stands. Seems like every time i have seen a fence that got hit by a car doing 20mph, the fence lost.

When you go sky diving you take the risk of death that might come with. When you play sports,there might be injuries,concussions. When you live your daily life,accidents happen. All in all,it is sad,no doubt about it,but shit happens. Great thing the medics need cups thrown at them,they should have been paying attention right.

Some spectators told the TV station they had to throw cups off the stands to get the attention of medics. The show continued after the boy and man were hurt, and many spectators left.

Gives new meaning to the show must go on.

There is no way to eliminate every risk in life. As high as this debris flew only way to stop it would be to watch on TV's with even happening some where else. Then the TV could have fallen and crushed the child. So what are you going to do? Live life and die or hide and die?

I’ve done hundreds of motorsport standbys (motocross, freestyle, monster trucks, street racing, burnouts, dune buggies, supercross, super cars, speedway, sprintcars, crusty demonds, quarter mile, trail bikes ect ect) The only incident I’ve had involving an injured spectator was at a sprintcar speedway event a lady was struck in the head with a clay ball from the track. Sometimes at street racing and burnouts you’d have an asthma attack or two from the tire smoke.

Generally motorsport is really safe for spectators, occasionally you’ll have a freak accident but again it doesn’t happen very often. Just one of those things I guess.

Thats it! With all the death and destruction and opportunities to get maimed ....I'm just going to crawl into my plastic protective bubble. Please do not visit me, as I don't want the responsibility of accidently rolling over you as I move throughout my house!

I'm now afraid to eat, drink or breathe!

I now only eat things I grow in an organically approved/environmentally friendly garden, my air is filtered and purified, and my water has gone through so much osmosis and filtering that it's not even wet!

My car has so many airbags, that if I hit a bump...it will fly away!

I have elbow pads, shin guards, knee pads, thigh pads and my D.O.T. approved helmet (full face of course!)

(said with the same level of sarcasm as the original post)