Young Cardiac Patient

Timmy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushy,

I'm sorry to be dense and spoil the antipodean in-joke but I was wondering something: if you are already ALS, what's the benefit of a MICA? What do they do differently?

Carl.

ALS here is somewhat like an EMT-I, MICA have all the bells and whistles, epecifically the anti-arrhythmic drugs/therapy and airway management.

Arrest scenario- Well, it depends upon whether it's a shock or no-shock situation. I don't think we need to go into the exact specifics here, I'm sure we are all familiar with the ERC (or whatever the governing body is in Aussieland) guidelines. I think there should be some attention to the 4 H and T's here though.

Was the arrest run any differently because of the patient's history?

WM

You need to be careful with oxygen admin on this one, it is a good idea to find out what his normal sat is, as it may be 70-80%. You can kill him with too much oxygen. He needs to go to the hospital that does transplants or atleast has a good cardiac program (not the local band-aid ER with an oncall doc).

You need to be careful with oxygen admin on this one, it is a good idea to find out what his normal sat is, as it may be 70-80%. You can kill him with too much oxygen. He needs to go to the hospital that does transplants or atleast has a good cardiac program (not the local band-aid ER with an oncall doc).

Sorry crotch, i dont follow, could you elaborate on why we should be careful with the 02, im assuming its hypoxic drive?

Which is why I suggested titrating

Yeah, maybe i should have read back thorugh the posts.

Is this such a big deal for ambo's to worry about? We certainly arn't to fussed with COPD'ers so why would this be different?

I'm not following your thought process on this, care to explain?

I will have to do some research and come back to you. I just remember we had two pediatric patients in our area with this syndrome, that we transported about once a month, and the Nurses at the pediatric hospital always made a big deal about not getting their sats up to the "normal" level when we called report, because most EMS folks would slap someone with a 70% O2 sat on high flow.