Summit

Which OPA do you prefer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• One is as good as the next!
    • Berman
    • Guedel
    • Hudson

guedal everytime - most places in the Uk only use guedal for OP - bermans don't look as easy to suction through or even 'flick clear' ( extract, sharp shake to clear and re insert - somewhat dodgy from a flinging body fluids about POV)

guedal everytime - most places in the Uk only use guedal for OP - bermans don't look as easy to suction through or even 'flick clear' ( extract, sharp shake to clear and re insert - somewhat dodgy from a flinging body fluids about POV)

suction through?

if we did that here in nsw we would be in such trouble...

we take them out and flick them clean and then reinsert.

if we cant get the blockage out we put in a new one.

stay safe

If suctioning through a Berman, lose the yankaur we in FDNY EMS usually have pre-connected to the portable suction unit, and use an appropriate sized "French" suction tip. Most fit through the channels in most airways I have used, but I admit your experiences may be different.

Don't know what triggered it, but something in this string reminded me of what I was told were the first SAEDs. One patch to the abdomen, the other contact was a metallic Hudson lookalike airway, preattaced to the machine. The "airway", of course, went into the moisture of the mouth. If it found a shock-able rhythm, it would fire itself without any crew intervention.

The reason it didn't work out was supposed to have been, while moving a patient down a staircase, during field trials, in the middle of the staircase, with no place to put down the patient, the luck-less crew hears the machine say "STAND CLEAR! STAND CLEAR!" and starting the charging whine!

Needless to say, the unit prototype was withdrawn from the test market almost immediately!

( I do wish I could document this. Anyone else?)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.